Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Are most high-end shoes built with goodyear welt over norweigen welt?
A 'Norwegian welt' is attached on the outside of the shoe and fully visible. You cannot cut this type of welt as narrowly as you can do with a conventional welt (which is stitched underneath the shoe). A Norwegian welt is a very sturdy construction with increased water resistance; therefore usually reserved for boots and heavy country-type footwear. It is not an elegant look.

'Goodyear welt' refers to a machine-method of attaching the welt. Charles Goodyear jun. patented a method, which employs machinery to do the welting,. He made it possible, to produce large quantities of welted footwear in factories.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Both can be resoled by a proficient cobbler. I have a few Norwegian welted shoes and they look a bit rugged so appropriate with chinos and more casual situations.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think both, when done right, are excellent modes of construction.

Some people get a kick out of the "artistry" of the exposed Norwegian welt. I'm guilty of having somewhat of an obsession over the Norwegian-welted Santoni FAMs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.