Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just got a new North Face Nuptse 2 jacket, and I love it but there's a drawstring on either side around my waist, similar to the drawstrings on the neck on THIS JACKET, and they have come out of the hole on one side, resulting on a really long elastic string hanging on either side of my waist. Any ideas how to get them back in and knot them while they're inside the hole to stop them coming back out?

Thanks.

· Registered
3,969 Posts
It might be easier to take it back.
Otherwise, Take a large safty pin and pin it to the elastic and work it back through.
Was it sewn in place? Or is it adjustable?
I would take it back. North Face would probably want you to bring it in to exchange it. If you try to fix it they might not take it back.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
I just fixed this problem on a windbreaker. It’sslow And tedious but works, Also a little difficult to explain.

You grasp the string that is pulled into the jacket about an inch from the end, obviously also grasping the outer layer channel it is in. Then while holding both in one pinch, use your other hand to feed as much material of the channel over the tip of the string, bunching it up against the pinched fingers. Then with the free hand that is feeding the material grasp the end of the string and pinch it between your fingers. Now let go of the original pinch further down the string, and feed the bunched up material over the string toward the end that is protruding. Now regrasp the string an inch behind its end, let go of the tip with the other hand and feed another half inch or so over the string. Repeat dozens of times until you have fed the channel material over the entire string and it can be pushed out of the hole. Periodically during the process, pull all the gathered material around the length of the hem toward the protruding string while holding onto the lost tip and channel. You will slowly have fed the string forward to its hole. Once outside the hole either attach a sliding fastener as shown in the jacket you linked to, or just tie a knot in the string so it will never migrate back out of sight.

Alternatively, pull the string completely out. Tie a thread around the end and then tie the thread to a stiff wire that you can push all the way thru the channel to the other end. A thin metal dry cleaner shirt hanger is useful. Using a plier bend over an inch of the straightened hanger into a hook, tie the thread around the hook, and crimp it very flat. Then feed the hanger thru the channel pulling the thread and string along with it.

· Registered
5,799 Posts
You’ve never fished something through something before? Pull the cord all the way out. Tie one end to a straightened out coat hanger. Fish the hanger through the jacket. Done.

This is why I never take for granted growing up in the South. This stuff is just innate.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
OP: Read the above instructions from momsdoc carefully. Not only do they explain precisely how to fix your drawstring problem but, coincidentally, that’s also how to perform a Caesarian section. Read one post, come away with two skills. How’s that for value?

· Registered
3,667 Posts
I'm surprised momsdoc didn't suggest a long kelly clamp (hemostat) threaded through the channel to grab the end of the cord and pull it back out. Easy peasy.
Or how about one of those snares that doctors use to grab and remove a benign polyp during a colonoscopy? (I don't blame momsdoc for not having suggested this, because it's the other hole that he ordinarily deals with.)

It might behoove the OP to first take a course in colorectal surgery. Maybe online? That should equip him with the delicate skills he'll need in order to successfully repair the drawstring.

In any case, I can't support using a coat hanger, as others have proposed-there's too great a risk of puncturing fabric, thereby causing a hemorrhage that could be fatal to the poor jacket. In this day and age, there is simply no excuse for back-alley drawstring repairs!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Managed to fix the problem. I knew you had to put the end back into the hole nearby, but I couldn't tie a knot once it was in there to get it to stay. But I realised there is also a hole in each pocket that is linked to the inside, so I had to (painstakingly) feed the cord through both holes and tie a knot inside my pockets.

S O L V E D

2,973 Posts
Managed to fix the problem. I knew you had to put the end back into the hole nearby, but I couldn't tie a knot once it was in there to get it to stay. But I realised there is also a hole in each pocket that is linked to the inside, so I had to (painstakingly) feed the cord through both holes and tie a knot inside my pockets.

S O L V E D
I am not sure what the hole in the pocket is supposed to do. I doubt that one is supposed to use it in the way you describe. As Kyle76 pointed out, the plastic pieces are intended to cinch up and secure the draw strings and keep the jacket snug at the waist. I suggest that you knot the ends of the draw strings to prevent the plastic pieces from falling off. It occurs to me that you may be kidding, and are actually familiar with outdoor clothing and other items with draw strings spring-loaded keepers.
Regards,
Gurdon

G

·
I just fixed this problem on a windbreaker. It'sslow And tedious but works, Also a little difficult to explain.

You grasp the string that is pulled into the jacket about an inch from the end, obviously also grasping the outer layer channel it is in. Then while holding both in one pinch, use your other hand to feed as much material of the channel over the tip of the string, bunching it up against the pinched fingers. Then with the free hand that is feeding the material grasp the end of the string and pinch it between your fingers. Now let go of the original pinch further down the string, and feed the bunched up material over the string toward the end that is protruding. Now regrasp the string an inch behind its end, let go of the tip with the other hand and feed another half inch or so over the string. Repeat dozens of times until you have fed the channel material over the entire string and it can be pushed out of the hole. Periodically during the process, pull all the gathered material around the length of the hem toward the protruding string while holding onto the lost tip and channel. You will slowly have fed the string forward to its hole. Once outside the hole either attach a sliding fastener as shown in the jacket you linked to, or just tie a knot in the string so it will never migrate back out of sight.

Alternatively, pull the string completely out. Tie a thread around the end and then tie the thread to a stiff wire that you can push all the way thru the channel to the other end. A thin metal dry cleaner shirt hanger is useful. Using a plier bend over an inch of the straightened hanger into a hook, tie the thread around the hook, and crimp it very flat. Then feed the hanger thru the channel pulling the thread and string along with it.
How about just tying in a knot the end/beginning of the old drawstring ….then pull it all the way through until the beginning of the new drawstring (that's already attached to old drawstring)…..then rethreading! I'm going to try this on mine tomorrow,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.