Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,892 Posts
Very simply, those are the jacket's vertical straps. The half-belt is sewn vertically at the waist at the back.
That's sewn horizontally at the waist in the back. I know, just a typo.:icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The half belt in the back is characteristic of a "half Norfolk". If there is a full belt, it will frequently go through belt loops created by the unsewn parts of the vertical straps, which is the best answer I have so far to my question about the nomenclature for the vertical straps.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
25,892 Posts
And of course you knew that the straps act as suspenders to help hold up the game-heavy pockets after a day's rough shooting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen the vertical straps actually attached to the pockets. I have seen buttons above the pocket flaps to hold the flap open. The idea of reinforcement to hold the relatively heavy game or even shells makes sense as to how the straps got started.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,801 Posts
You guys are making me impatient for the Fall season's cooler temps to arrive....feeling the need for a tweed fix! :) Great looking jacket, Pliny!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree that they are attached to the pocket, including the ones that I have (now that the picture made me go back and look). Some of my Norfolk jackets with vertical straps that have straps that attach inside the pocket, and give the pocket some additional support. The straps on my two Dunn jackets stop at the pocket.

·
Registered
27,638 Posts
I agree that they are attached to the pocket, including the ones that I have (now that the picture made me go back and look). Some of my Norfolk jackets with vertical straps that have straps that attach inside the pocket, and give the pocket some additional support. The straps on my two Dunn jackets stop at the pocket.
My understanding is also that they are commonly known as straps and serve to support any weight in the pockets. This transfers the weight to the shoulders rather than causing the jacket front itself to carry it and likely stretch it out of shape. Some older designs also had set-in pockets half way up the front with the outer edge of the strap serving as a vertical entry to these pockets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.