Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in BB the other day and overheard a conversation in which a customer was saying his shirts keep tearing at the elbow. The clerk said that they were non-iron shirts he was wearing and because he was having them dry cleaned (which shouldn't be necessary anyway), the mixture of the non-iron chemicals with the cleaner's detergent was degrading the fabric.

Does this make sense to you? I couldn't tell if she was just trying to get an angry customer out of there or if there was anything to it. I don't really wear non-iron shirts myself, but I was just curious.

BT

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a strange thing. It's never happened to me, but I've got two colleagues who go through shirts like paper---elbow tears constantly. It's almost funny, and I'm usually the one who notices it and points it out to them. They're not wearing low-quality shirts (and they're not all BB). I can't figure it out. They seem to fit. Maybe these people just have freakishly long elbows.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has happened to me with two 346 outlet store brooks brothers shirt. Both left elbow.

I also have a regular store non-iorn shirt, which is shredding on the cuffs, when the entire shirt looks perfect.

I talked to the store, and they said to contact corporate, which i cannot seem to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have noticed that in the last 2-3 years several of my shirts (like Nordstrom or Brooks Brothers) have been shredding at the cuffs (and sometimes at the fold of the placket) much faster than in the past.
I attributed it to the fact that my housekeeper sometimes uses detergent with bleach (taking shortcuts... laundering everything together, rather than shirts separately), but it is a fact that I have bought a few non-iron in the last few years (not for the non iron feature, but just because I like the shirts).

I have switched detergent for shirts recently (Tide) and I am trying to enforce the separate laundering. But the chemical interaction might make sense. Any chemist out there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. In the last month, 3 non-iron shirts I purchased from Nordstroms within the last 6 months all ripped just below the elbow. I don't work in a job that is very active an my cleaner has a good reputation. I have never experienced this issue with shirts before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.