Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Charles Tyrwhitt is having a salve 4 of their slim-fit non iron shirts for 199. BB has their similar shirts going for 3 for $199. My question is how does CT compare with BB? Which last longer in terms of non-ironess, and which has better overall fit and fabric. I also have a preference for a more fitted fitted shirt. Please opine on the pro's and con's of these shirts. And for those that think that non-iron is a sacralige well, I dont have time to iron all weekend and don't trust dry clearers with my clothing (everytime I say no-starch, I get starch!!!!). I also find that the non-iron BB are just comfortable and very practical for my lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
CT quality is said to vary significantly from line-to-line. I doubt they are going to be better than BB.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Wearing my BB "luxury" non-iron as I type. I prefer this over the CT non-iron I own (I agree with the more-variable quality with CT shirts, some are better than others, and I can't seem to predict what I'll get, hence I don't order much from them anymore). I also have several "regular" BB slim-fit non-irons, that are slightly "slimmer" than the luxury line, but strangely enough the sleeves on these shirts are about a full inch longer than my luxury shirt (I ordered 34, , my usual, but really need 33, and because of the non-iron there isn't going to be any shrinkage to expect, but hey, live and learn). I have a single LE custom shirt I really like, but they don't offer non-iron in this line, and no "Boardroom" collars in non-iron, solid colors, and slim fit, so I'm waiting on these.

Conclusion: if it's my money, I'll get the BBs. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Gotta agree with medhat, BB is a bit more reliable and tends to survive a bit longer. I continually wash both types and use Shout on the collars/cuffed sleeves to avoid yellow/dirt staining as well as run both on delicate cycles and through low heat til damp. BB still endures the test of time in my eyes.

As for fit, the CT shirts def have a bit better sizing in terms of sleeve and bottom length for a trimmer feel. I do have to complain about the CT non-iron collar stay areas though. The bottoms of the collar tend to curl a bit, unlike the BB collars which always stay flat. I always use brass or gold collar stays in my shirts, but BB sits much better.

Overall, Id choose the BB line and lean towards the "luxury" slim-fit non-iron as well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This may or not be a consideration for some, but apparently most non iron shirts require using a dryer in order to keep them as wrinkle free as possible. Tyrwhitt claims that their shirts can be placed on a hanger straight out of the washer and still look great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have experience with CT and BB, and can definitely say that while CT's higher-end ranges (Sea Island and up) are superior to BBs MID-line ranges, the BB shirts tend to be more reliable, as someone stated previously. Not sure how BB 346 fit into the mix, nor the BB HIGHER-end ranges. When it comes to fit, I'd say both BB and CT slim-fit are cut equally trim. For an even slimmer cut, I suggest TM Lewin in that price range. Keep in mind that many CT shirts are double cuff only, while most BB shirts are going to be barrel cuff only. Some of the more popular shirts (and thus more mass-produced) will provide the option, but not many.
Another thing to consider is that CT cuts their shirt prices substantially every now and again, while BB tends to be more consistent with their pricing.
No experience with Lands End, but if you're going that direction, definitely do their MTM(esque?) service. The price is basically the same, I believe.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My two favourite dress shirts right now are both CT non-iron slim-fit shirts. They look and feel good all day. I also like that they have no pocket. I have not yet encountered the collar tip problem mentioned above, and I have owned these particular shirts for over a year.

I do iron them, by the way. It just takes two minutes instead of ten minutes.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Wearing my BB "luxury" non-iron as I type. I prefer this over the CT non-iron I own (I agree with the more-variable quality with CT shirts, some are better than others, and I can't seem to predict what I'll get, hence I don't order much from them anymore). I also have several "regular" BB slim-fit non-irons, that are slightly "slimmer" than the luxury line, but strangely enough the sleeves on these shirts are about a full inch longer than my luxury shirt (I ordered 34, , my usual, but really need 33, and because of the non-iron there isn't going to be any shrinkage to expect, but hey, live and learn). I have a single LE custom shirt I really like, but they don't offer non-iron in this line, and no "Boardroom" collars in non-iron, solid colors, and slim fit, so I'm waiting on these.

Conclusion: if it's my money, I'll get the BBs. Good luck.
Gotta agree with medhat, BB is a bit more reliable and tends to survive a bit longer. I continually wash both types and use Shout on the collars/cuffed sleeves to avoid yellow/dirt staining as well as run both on delicate cycles and through low heat til damp. BB still endures the test of time in my eyes.

As for fit, the CT shirts def have a bit better sizing in terms of sleeve and bottom length for a trimmer feel. I do have to complain about the CT non-iron collar stay areas though. The bottoms of the collar tend to curl a bit, unlike the BB collars which always stay flat. I always use brass or gold collar stays in my shirts, but BB sits much better.

Overall, Id choose the BB line and lean towards the "luxury" slim-fit non-iron as well.
I wasn't thinking about the BB Luxury non-irons when I initially replied. They are hands down the nicest non-iron shirt you can get IMO. I've largely moved on from non-iron shirts at this point, although I do like to keep a few for travel convenience. BB Luxuries are what I am using for such a purpose. The fit isn't that slim (I have to get mine altered) but the material is very nice and quite substantial. In fact, it doesn't feel like other non-iron materials I've seen at all. There is none of that nasty plastic coating feeling or look. Highly recommended if you insist on going the non-iron route.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased about 8 Non-Iron slim fit shirts about 4 years ago. Evey single one of them has frayed at the cuffs, and ripped in the elbow of my left arm (Possibly due to watch grabbing fabric). I have never had another shirt do this.

I must say I washed them all the time, and put them in a warm-hot dryer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I purchased about 8 Non-Iron slim fit shirts about 4 years ago. Evey single one of them has frayed at the cuffs, and ripped in the elbow of my left arm (Possibly due to watch grabbing fabric). I have never had another shirt do this.

I must say I washed them all the time, and put them in a warm-hot dryer.
Strange. Assuming you're talking about Brooks Brothers, the oldest slim-fit non-iron shirts I have are about five years old, and while they are slightly frayed at the cuffs and the tip of the collar, they've had no other issues. I wash them and dry them in machines as well. I consider that great longevity for a $70 shirt.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I only have 4 non iron shirts and they are all BB sourced at the 3 for $159 sale price that is prevalent several times/year.

In my normal rotation spot I probably have 50-60 far more expensive shirts. Interestingly enough the BBs get the majority of the wear.

Also I professionally launder the shirts (no starch please) so the non iron was not important from that point of view.

The thing I like most about the BB is that the non iron feature makes these shirts look as good at 5 or 6 pm as they did at 8 am. None of my $200-400 shirts will look nearly as good after lunch as the BBs.

Perry

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Running dress shirts through a dryer, especially with heat, is a great way to create a need for new dress shirts.

Dryer=enemy of your shirts.

As for these shirts, CT's slim fit is trimmer and shorter in the body than BB's (the BB Luxury range is not their slim fit, it's an in-between fit, fuller than slim but trimmer than the classic range of very full-cut BB shirts).

As for fabric feel, I prefer CT's noniron to BB's. The latter seem somehow a bit "plastic-like" to me, whereas CT's noniron fabrics have a handle that feels more like the two-ply cotton of which they're made and less like the wrinkle-resistant resin in which they're coated.

Best method as always is trial and error, test before rollout. Get one of each and wear them for a while.

PS: BB has plenty of noniron slimfit shirts with French cuffs. It's not true they're overwhelmingly button-cuff shirts. I count ten noniron FC slimfits offered here:
https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=205&viewAll=t&sortBy=

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.