Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this crosses the mind of everybody as they await the baggage carousel after a flight. Likewise, I am sure this was discussed before. In light of newer TSA regulations as well as charges for baggage being implemented, perhaps the topic could be revisited.

Does anyone accomplish a no checked baggage personal or professional trip? If so, how are you doing this? I was thinking of wearing a sports coat or suit on the plane depending upon the type of travel ( I seldom need more than one unless attending a multi-day conference).

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I always try to go hand-luggage only if I can these days. I think it's very possible to do a two day business trip or 3-4 day pleasure trip without checking stuff in. The key is versatility.

For business - wear a versatile subtle suit onto the plane, but hang up the jacket (or fold gently) during the flight. Shirts - one worn, one different colour packed. Shoes - one pair of black captoes - worn. Ties - 2 (either one worn or both packed). Underwear, socks & 2 small toiletry bags for other sundries. Job done. If you want to stretch the wardrobe a little, you can also carefully pack a hard-wearing non-wrinkly sportsjacket into the hand luggage. It all fits, believe me. If you're also taking a laptop bag on board, you can sneak a few other things into that.

For pleasure all you need is - a few polos +/- T-shirts, an OCBD, a regular collar shirt, jeans, one smarter pair of trousers, one tie, one non-wrinkly sportsjacket, and a selection of underwear, socks, and the same toiletry bags as previously, pair of boots, pair of smart shoes. Pair of shorts, swimming trunks and flip-flops/sandals if you're heading to the beach. Wear the jeans, boots and sportsjacket on the plane.

Make use of the hotel laundry and you can stretch the above to a 3 day business trip (or even 4 day business trip if one day is non-suit wearing and you pack the sportsjacket) and a 5-6 day pleasure trip.

Of course, some places, you may want/need a more extensive wardrobe, in which case I'm afraid you're going to need to check a bag in. But if you're willing to travel light for convenience and aren't intending on majorly dressing up at the other end, it can be done very lightly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can make it about a week carry-on only, No hotel laundry, not much variety in formality tho. In addition to wearing a sportcoat and sweater on the plane (plus my outercoat if applicable) the trick really is to get a big enuf carry-on bag.

Get something hardshelled with basically no lining that is the max size allowed. Too many bags have padded linings or aren't as big as they cud be.

Toilitries r another matter...its not the 100ml rule or anything, its the space they take. I recommend only going to places where u know its already sorted ;)

Oh, and don't spill anything on urself because u don't have any xtra clothes!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I'd disagree about hardshell. I can get a week's stuff in a carry-on that isn't a total hardshell. The back and sides are solid but it has an expansion zipper that adds up to another 25% in capacity. That makes it too big for the bin, but allows us to shop a bit and check it only on the way home.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I travelled for business and I was never gone for more than 5 weekdays. Never on wekends. One bag to fit in the overhead compartment. Two suits (wearing one) 6 shirts white or light blue (wearing one) four ties, two pairs of shoes (wearing one) one pair of casual trousers, 6 sets of underwear and one raincoat. In my briefcase were the toilet articles which had to be shown. Why so little was I would be in a different office or town each day. See the various sites on how to pack. Now I am retired but If the travel plans are less than 7 days. I pack similar amounts. Yes there are times when I do check my luggage and pray that it is not lost. Rules; similar colors or those that blend, layer clothing for warmth, think of throw away items you don't need. I save all my old undrwear and dispose them as I travel.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Very easy -- Fed Ex.

I pack everything in a durable box and ship it Fed Ex to my hotel the day before. I arrive at the airport with just a briefcase and eliminate waiting at carousels for bags upon arrival.

My "laptop" is a 8GB USB drive which I plug into a borrowed computer at my client's office or at the hotel's business center. Considering airlines are now charging $15+ for a checked bag, I'd rather spend it on FedEx and eliminate airport hassles.

AD

·
Registered
542 Posts
Contrarian viewpoint

Checked baggage still works........ at least it does on Southwest. I recently went on a week's vacation, checking a 50 lb hard sided suitcase going and coming at no extra charge. The wait at the baggage carousel was less than ten minutes at both Providence and Midway.

Perhaps the choice of airline and airports made it a good experience, but I think the avoidance of checked baggage by so many travelers may be an overreaction.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In June I used a wheeled carry-on bag and a personal bag for a two-week trip to Europe. I packed 3 suits, 2 pairs of shoes, shirts, etc. I wore a db blazer on the flight. I had clothing laundered while there a couple of times.

It was great to carry everything onboard with ease.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Just please gentlemen, whatever you do, do not be the a**hole with the almost full size suitcase holding up boarding and exiting as you push and pull and twist and force your bag into the overhead; doing me the extra favor of forcing me to find overhead space over another seat for my tiny briefcase. There is a special place in hell for jerks like that.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Just please gentlemen, whatever you do, do not be the a**hole with the almost full size suitcase holding up boarding and exiting as you push and pull and twist and force your bag into the overhead; doing me the extra favor of forcing me to find overhead space over another seat for my tiny briefcase. There is a special place in hell for jerks like that.
+1 :icon_cheers:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Amen!!! There is nothing that angers me more. I like quick exits, especially, and get very frustrated when someone is holding up the process.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What I carry

Amen!!! There is nothing that angers me more. I like quick exits, especially, and get very frustrated when someone is holding up the process.
Amen, Amen, Amen. The new cost for baggage on a lot of airlines will bite them at some point. BTW, fly Southwest if you don't want to be nickeled-and-dimed and actually want to get some kind of small snack. If you are saying "No way on Southwest... they are no frills and their boarding process is inhumane," then you haven't tried them and should. They are one of the best airlines right now.

I usually travel 3 days a week at most. A lot trips are overnight or two nights. I can fit everything in a Briggs and Riley roller board. Here's what I would take for a 4 day trip. I dress business casual, and occasionally wear a blazer. I usually travel in early mornings so I would wear my blazer. For a two day trip, I would bring:

- 3 button down dress shirts. These will get wrinkled and require ironing. Or not if you are lazy and not worried about wrinkles.

- 2 pairs of dress pants. I find that I can get two days wear out of them. May need to press them after one day of travel.

- Gym shoes (trainers, whatever you want to call them). I put shoe trees in these (see next comment).

- Two sets of gym clothes (t-shirt, shorts, exercise-style socks)

- The dress shoes that I wear when I leave. Sorry folks, I do take only one pair. I use the shoe trees placed in the gym shoes.

- 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of underwear.

- One golf/baseball style hat to wear when I work out.

- Stupid plastic bag with liquids for the TSA Nazis.

- Toiletries bag that I can put into my luggage.

I usually take off my blazer. I've found that high-quality blazers are easy to fold and will not wrinkle much when removed. An overnight hanging usually takes out most wrinkles.

If I did wear a suit, I would take two for a 3 day trip. It would be no problem to wear one and pack the other. A high quality suit won't wrinkle that much. One technique for wrinkles: Put a dry cleaning bag over your shirts/suits/pants. That seems to help.

On checking bags. Some people won't check bags because "the airlines will loose my luggage." I don't remember the last time an airline lost my luggage in the last 15 years. They have damaged my luggage and broken my favorite golf club. Look at the statistics for loosing luggage and you'll find that it's pretty small.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
On checking bags. Some people won't check bags because "the airlines will loose my luggage." I don't remember the last time an airline lost my luggage in the last 15 years. They have damaged my luggage and broken my favorite golf club. Look at the statistics for loosing luggage and you'll find that it's pretty small.
You haven't been to London Heathrow then... :icon_smile_wink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.