Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a nice looking pair of boots I can wear for winter. Doesn't have to be dress boots, but shouldn't be work boots either. Ideally something with decent traction (rubber sole I guess), though I won't wear it in 12 inches of snow (I already have snow boots) and goodyear welt. Someone mentioned Thursday boots. Are they good or do you have better suggestions?

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Fully shearing lined with a Victory sole.

The Hesgung Zemmat boot has traction, warmth, superb leather. and style. The best winter boot I've ever had by far.

Footwear Brown Shoe Outdoor shoe Sportswear

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
How do the Herrings and/or Meermins differ from the likes of Red Wings and Thursday boots? Also, does Dainite sole provide enough traction for light snow and ice?
1. Both are much more refined than either Redwing or Thursday. And the hides used for the uppers are of substantially higher quality. I know nothing about Thursday, but at their prices a U.S. marketed boot has to have compromises. Redwing makes very solid work-wear type boots if that's what you're looking for.

But momsdoc is the true Meermin expert, so I hope he chimes in again.

2. I wore my chukkas with Dainite soles in light snow and ice the other day, and they performed very well.

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
Red Wing is unapologetically blobby and rustic in shape and styling in comparison to Meermin.

For me, they definitely work.

Based on your criteria though, I think Flanderian's suggestions are most appropriate. The grained nature helps to make them more casual and less dressy.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
Meermin makes a standard shearling boot as well as the occasional MTO. You would never confuse them with workbootd or snow boots. They are dress derbies, and the only one who will know they areshearling lined is the wearer. To everyone else they look like an elegant dress derby boot.

Since I have the Heshung Zemmat, I have not purchased them for myself, but for my son. He swears by the warmth of these fully shearling lined boots, with a double rubber sole with the same nice snow traction pattern as Danite, and a storm welt to boot (no pun intended). At $265 and $35 shipping, they come right in at your budget. I will go out on a limb and say you will not find a more handsome, better made fully shearing lined boot at that price.

Footwear Brown Shoe Dress shoe Personal protective equipment

Brown Product Font Outdoor shoe Liver

Brown Wood Font Screenshot Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Meermin makes a standard shearling boot as well as the occasional MTO. You would never confuse them with workbootd or snow boots. They are dress derbies, and the only one who will know they areshearling lined is the wearer. To everyone else they look like an elegant dress derby boot.

Since I have the Heshung Zemmat, I have not purchased them for myself, but for my son. He swears by the warmth of these fully shearling lined boots, with a double rubber sole with the same nice snow traction pattern as Danite, and a storm welt to boot (no pun intended). At $265 and $35 shipping, they come right in at your budget. I will go out on a limb and say you will not find a more handsome, better made fully shearing lined boot at that price.

View attachment 19273

View attachment 19274

View attachment 19275
Thanks for the added insight. That's a great looking boot, and a solid recommendation!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
How do the Herrings and/or Meermins differ from the likes of Red Wings and Thursday boots? Also, does Dainite sole provide enough traction for light snow and ice?
The standard Dainite sole is decent on snow and ice. Probably not as good as some others like you would get on a work boot. But it is a nice compromise between utility and appearance.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Snow....ICE? Egad, no sole, short of actual 'crampons' affixed to your boots, provides truly stable footing on ice! Though momsdoc makes a persuasive case for those handsome Meermin boots. :teacha:

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I could never wear fully lined boots all day - my feet would be absolutely roasting for the bulk of the day spent indoors. But then I have naturally warm feet.

Boots like that I would only consider for a winter hike or outdoor sporting event where I'd be stuck immobile in the cold for hours. But truth be told, I wouldn't choose to do that anyway.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those Meermins definitely look nice, but I am not convinced the calf leather is rugged enough to handle the elements (rain/snow). Isn't chromexcel, such as in the Wolverine 1000s, more robust? I guess what I'm looking for is something midway between a work boot and a "pretty boy" boot. I mean, isn't the whole point of wearing boots to brave the elements to some degree?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I just have to roll my eyes at the "pretty boy boots" comment.

If construction wear is what the OP is after, I am not in a position to assist. And if he really wants a pair of clunky Wolverines, I'd be that last person to stand in his way. Sounds like it might well be the right choice in this case on all levels.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

These look great! I've found my belated Christmas present.

These are exactly the kind of thing I was looking for a couple of years ago when I was going to be wintering in Japan, with its peculiar demands for footwear which is at once practical, warm, durable, and elegant.

I was going to recommend the Wolverine 1000 mile boots (they do have one or two models a bit less on the workboot side), but these Meermin's are cheaper. Rare to see an actual no-brainer!

DH

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Those Meermins definitely look nice, but I am not convinced the calf leather is rugged enough to handle the elements (rain/snow). Isn't chromexcel, such as in the Wolverine 1000s, more robust? I guess what I'm looking for is something midway between a work boot and a "pretty boy" boot. I mean, isn't the whole point of wearing boots to brave the elements to some degree?
So you want ugly-boy boots!? :D

But seriously, you should get what you want, but know what you're getting. Most members prefer a more refined appearance for their footwear, and all of the boots suggested could be worn with anything from casual wear through dressier attire such as wool slacks and sport jackets, or even some suits.

But if you want a boot that looks like those made by Red Wing of Wolverine, they are, or were derived from work boots and are not really suited for anything but the most casual wear. Yes, boots do serve better for bad weather, but the key is your qualifier, "to some degree." The more refined boots are just fine for a walk from your car to your office, or to be out on a winter day with some snow. Less so for trekking through the woods in a heavy snow or standing around in ankle deep slush. But you're initial observation that if that was your intended use, you'd wear snow boots is, IMO, the correct one.

Calfskin isn't waterproof. Chromexcel isn't either. The difference is that if calf gets completely, and I mean completely, soaked it can stiffen and its appearance will be degraded after it dries out. Especially when it's not done properly. Chromexcel will be largely unaffected.

Should you continue to have an interest in work type boots note that many soles are only partly rubber with it applied to a leather sole's forefoot. That will defeat the objective of having a waterproof sole. That aside, there's no reason such a boot shouldn't serve for rough wear such as I've described.

https://www.wolverine.com/US/en/cou...r=W00278&sma=sm.0001td63ppmlzf75sk01d5f9wln4e

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.