Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like jackets more than I like sweaters, but most of the types of jackets and coats talked about on this forum are too much for daily wear on a college campus. I don't even know the term for what I want (classification seems to break down when you're not buying expensive clothing), but are there inexpensive, nice looking jackets that still look very casual, and if so, where can I buy them from? I'm talking about something like what Cary Grant is wearing in this post:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showpost.php?p=913961&postcount=9783

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ralph Lauren makes a nice windbreaker that's made out of chino fabric, usually has a plaid lining. I had one for a while, I liked it a lot. It does have the horse on the chest, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I liked the jacket overall. They come in navy, washed out red, tan, etc., and I think you can get them for a good price at a Polo outlet ($60-70).

I also think that fleeces are a good choice for casual wear on campus. More casual than a windbreaker like in the picture, and it'll hardly make you stand out on a college campus, but I think a black fleece is a great wardrobe staple for a college aged guy. A Barbour jacket is also an excellent choice, a little more expensive, but great in the wind and the rain. With a lining to add versatility, it can work from 50 F to 0.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I like jackets more than I like sweaters, but most of the types of jackets and coats talked about on this forum are too much for daily wear on a college campus. I don't even know the term for what I want (classification seems to break down when you're not buying expensive clothing), but are there inexpensive, nice looking jackets that still look very casual, and if so, where can I buy them from? I'm talking about something like what Cary Grant is wearing in this post:

Thanks for the help.
How about a Barbour jacket? A Bedale would be right down your allley.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How about a Barbour jacket? A Bedale would be right down your allley.
I like the Barbour jackets but am worried they might be too much in places like southern California. Rarely gets much below 60. So if you are looking for a light jacket / windbreaker (something that *is* appropriate in my area), not sure a Barbour would work.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I wore traditional tweed (olive/grey herringbone mostly) jackets all through college (undergrad and grad). It's just an incredibly versatile jacket - it wears well, it's durable, it can look casual or dressy depending on what you wear it with, you can pair it with slacks, chinos or jeans, layer it with sweaters, shirts or t-shirts, you have 5+ pockets to stuff pens, calculators etc. into.

Plus, it's a very "academic" look.

Probably why I still wear them all the time today ;)

DH

·
Registered
210 Posts
You can look at UniQlo as well. They have some nice windbreaker-style jackets. They have a few other options as well. A lot of unlined blazers and other casual jackets. I'm wearing one right now that's kind of a blazer, faux-motorcycle jacket hybrid. It's tough to describe, but it fits my personal style well, so it works.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I like the Barbour jackets but am worried they might be too much in places like southern California. Rarely gets much below 60. So if you are looking for a light jacket / windbreaker (something that *is* appropriate in my area), not sure a Barbour would work.
I did not know the OP was from SoCal; my mistake.
In that case, perhaps a Harrington would be in order.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You could be like me and get a Barbour International in sandstone. And I live in Arizona.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I thought the OP went to Cal and if so Berkeley is in Northern California. Quite cool most of the school year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cary Grant's comment; including shoes

In the photo, what are those shoes? AE Fifth Avenue in brown?
Great shoes!

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I live in true SoCal--Los Angeles (Silverlake to be specific) and it gets cold all the time here. We had many nights this winter down into the high 30's, low 40's and many days in the 50's. Now when I was growing up in Toronto, that was shorts weather. But down here my Barbour Bedale works perfectly.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Here's another Nordstrom choice by Spiewak in navy or charcoal that looks like a good year-round alternative, comes with a stowable hood, and is quite smart looking. It's not going to be too warm in those warmer late spring afternoons, but will keep out the damp when that tongue of fog snakes across the bay and hits Berkeley with its chilly lick. If you need more warmth, just put on a sweater underneath.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/S/301015...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6020916&P=1

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
There is a brand of English windbreaker called the Baracuta that many of the people around here just love, and it might be what you're looking for. This link will show you a picture of Steve McQueen wearing one:
https://images.google.com/imgres?im...rev=/images?q=baracuta+jacket&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

They're expensive, but there are a number selling on ebay right now.

The casual jacket that I regularly wear in the spring and fall (spring's supposed to arrive any day now) is the LLBean warmup jacket. It might not be for you because it does have fleece insulation.
https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/s...entCategory=504720&feat=504720-tn&cat4=504714

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.