Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several of us seem ready to take the plunge on a dinner jacket for next summer. JAB may, of course, cut the price of their ivory tuxedo separate to match the velvet under $50 jacket from last year that none of us has had occasion to wear yet--but that might be too much to hope for.

I'm 5'6". Talk me out of an ivory self faced shawl collar jacket with besom pockets, two side vents, fairly low single button stance, working button holes with fabric covered buttons in an 8-9oz wool fabric. What should I change?

Do summer DJ have ticket pockets? What would the ticket be for if it's Summer and the opera is not performing--surely not the Mets or Batman? But I wander from the question above. My black tie rig has peak lapels and I thought the shawl might be a nice change. It worked for Bogart.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Several of us seem ready to take the plunge on a dinner jacket for next summer. JAB may, of course, cut the price of their ivory tuxedo separate to match the velvet under $50 jacket from last year that none of us has had occasion to wear yet--but that might be too much to hope for.
Truth hurts.

I'm 5'6". Talk me out of an ivory self faced shawl collar jacket with besom pockets, two side vents, fairly low single button stance, working button holes with fabric covered buttons in an 8-9oz wool fabric. What should I change?
Some would oppose the vents, but they do not bother me ... and you can have them closed if you change your mind, whereas you cannot have them added.

I would be careful not to go too low with the button stance, although there is some room between, e.g., Jos Bank's button and "too low".

Do summer DJ have ticket pockets? What would the ticket be for if it's Summer and the opera is not performing--surely not the Mets or Batman? But I wander from the question above. My black tie rig has peak lapels and I thought the shawl might be a nice change. It worked for Bogart.
I was under the impression that dinner jackets never had outside ticket pockets.

One detail you do not mention, that I would want, is a lapel buttonhole (with loop behind). I might be so perverse as to ask for a button concealed behind the opposite lapel -- a detail perhaps better left to the tweed sportcoats.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like nobody has any major problems with what I'm considering. I was trying to remember if I had ever seen a black, midnight, white or ivory DJ with a ticket pocket and coming up empty.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Please don't go with a ticket pocket or pockets with flaps. Midnight Blue was favored by the Duke of Windsor because it always showed up black when photographed. Also midnight blue was a one time used by the diplomatic corps. A white DJ is great but when would you use it?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No danger--I was just pondering if formal jackets ever had ticket pockets. I have an old notch and a SBPL, but my last outside party saw an inordinant number of white and ivory jackets. I must conform.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
OTP

RL have offered an evening suit with an OTP-it also had slanting pockets and a throat latch. I kinda liked it....:eek:

Go for ventless rather than side vents and MoP buttons over cloth covered. Ignore suggestions for a buttonhole in the lapel.
Make sure the cloth is a creamy ivory and not too white.

W_B

·
Registered
934 Posts
No danger--I was just pondering if formal jackets ever had ticket pockets. I have an old notch and a SBPL, but my last outside party saw an inordinant number of white and ivory jackets. I must conform.
Sorry I did not see you lived in NC, We live in SW Florida and we do wear white. IN fact mine is a washable poly. It is ok but a wool one would be better looking.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
To vent or not to vent?

Is there an order of formality with the vents, or is the number and placement better dictated by your physique?
Physique should rule: If you are slim, side vents would be fine. If you are not, skip the vents. I wouldn't get a side-vented DJ with the thought that you could have them closed if you don't like the way they look. First of all, why would you not be able to make up your mind about that before you obtain the jacket? Then, why would you want non-functional vents in any case?

If, as it sounds, you are evaluating an existing DJ, the simple question is: Does it fit? The functional buttons are a nice asset, but who knows you have them besides yourself, unless you leave one or two unbuttoned?

If, on the other hand, you are having it made, I should hope you are using a tailor who can objectively review style alternatives in light of your body type and come up with the best fit in consultation with you. That includes the choice of collar. If you look like Humphrey Bogart, then the shawl collar it is. Just joshing, of course.

As for having no place to wear a white, or in the case of wool, ivory DJ: Nonsense! In the words, I believe, of Dicken's Micawber, "Something is bound to turn up." You get various items of dress because you want to be ready for the occasion. If you didn't ever have have the prospect of a summer semi-formal event, I should expect that you wouldn't be considering a white DJ in the first place. Go for it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.