Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am rather new to men's fashion as it were and am just starting my professional career so I am looking to buy my first suit(s) and some good quality dress shirts. I did some searching on the forums but thought I may as well post.

In what I am looking for in my wardrobe:

First off, I am severely limited in regards to money I have to spend on my clothing, I can do $80 USD a shirt and about $350 USD a suit. I imagine this limits me tremendously, but it may make it easier to point me in the right direction, I simply can't commission a tailor to make me a suit for several thousand dollars.

I have been the "menswear" stores in Canada such as Moores and Tiptop tailors and simply hate the garbage they sell.

I have purchased a few dress shirts off of ebay, two Ike Behar, one Talbott and one that said Maxxim but is quite nice. I like these shirts quite a lot, they may be only mid-level (I don't really know) but these are the type I am looking for.

I like the idea of MTM because I have large shoulders and long arms for my waist and often shirts don't fit well. (Too loose around the body if my arms and shoulders fit, even with tall sizes)

I was considering Maxwell Clothiers in HK

https://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

but I did a search on the forums and most everyone was unimpressed with them. What can you guys suggest as far as retailers or brands?

Also I live in BC, Canada so anything local would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for assisting a neophyte like me!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Go to Harry Rosen if you hate Moores and TipTop. I think there is one in Vancouver. I know there are HRs in Edmonton and Calgary I personally buy most of my suits online for similar costs as Moores but with better quality. I'm not afraid to buy used if it can be tailored.

My favorite two shirts are from TipTop. I'm very tall, and this woman at the Sears outlet in Calgary royally annoyed me by insisting a shirt was not "for sale" when I went to pay and after sufficient argument, we not only deduced it wasn't "for sale" at regular price, it was 30 percent off. So if you've got a thick skin Sears may be for you, at these price points. If you can't afford much more for a suit, might I suggest you buy secondhand off Ebay, for now at least.

The reason I say the TipTop shirts are my favorite are simple. They're cheap (45CDN), long enough (38 sleeve, tall fit) and traditional enough in style. The brand I prefer they keep in the back of the shop on the tall shelves, so you have to ask for them. They're also not french cuffed, which saved me hassle getting going in the morning. When you're up at six and have to be at work at seven, the two minutes it takes to use cufflinks equates to ten minutes a week which could be better spent in bed.

I know it's crap, but it's cheap and if you don't put them through incredible abuse, they actually last six months or so. I've had Lacoste, RLP, etc and their lower end stuff is on a similar scale.

If I could make one suggestion. If buying basic suits from Moores, buy added pants. I've had seams burst on me from bending over often for comedic effect. You may not like Moores or TipTop, but young professionals might learn to appreciate having cheaper clothes and taking good care of them. How would you feel if you bought Thom Browne and tore the jacket seam bending over to tie your shoes.

PM me if you'd like. I have lots of places I know of where you can stretch your budget with minimal effort.

Thomas

·
Registered
595 Posts
You might want to check eBay for shirts under the Stafford brand. It's a JCPenney store brand, so this may not be a cool answer (or even convenient since there are no JCPenney stores in Canada), but they're relatively inexpensive shirts in basic, classic styles that hold up to rigorous use. You can usually get one NWT for around $12 CAN, or if you ever swing by the 'States, you can find some for around $19 CAN on sale.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think your best bet is STP. If you find the right sales and promo codes, you can get Samuelsohn suits in the $400 range and Corneliani and Isaia shirts in the $70 to $125 range, respectively. Unless you stumble on a prize at an outlet, you probably won't do much better than that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Lands end has a great custom shirt builder if you are really difficult to fit and dont want to go broke - check out their website. I think Ike Behar is a great choice frankly and you could probably get decent Hugo Boss shirts or Charles Tyrewhitt's on ebay but it doesnt address the fit problem and I think fit comes first so rather than buy a great shirt at a discount that balloons around your waist look for discounted custom shirt makers on the web or at a brick and mortar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
shirts for Dante

Hi Dante!
welcome
I own lots of shirts at all prices. I must admit that the Land's end shirts are a great value for the money. you can get all cotton, no iron shirts at great prices. wash them, and hang them up to dry, and they look great. you can get a french cuff and inexpensive cuff links to dress them up.

I got a GREAT Kiton shirt on ebay, NEW from anthony's shop in Italy, less than half price.

never tried it, buy sierra trading post Isaia shirt sounds like a GREAT deal, I like my Isaia shirts.

I will try sierra trading post next.

best,

bob

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've been in a similar position as you and relied on online purchases of shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt, T.M. Lewin, and Jantzentailor. I have received many compliments on the fit/style/colour of all three of those shirt makers and would strongly recommend them as a budget-conscious option.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I've been in a similar position as you and relied on online purchases of shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt, T.M. Lewin, and Jantzentailor. I have received many compliments on the fit/style/colour of all three of those shirt makers and would strongly recommend them as a budget-conscious option.
CT currently has shirts on sale for as low as US$39, with many at $47 or $55.

Lewin has shirts for 19 GBP, Harvie & Hudson for 30 GBP. Both deduct VAT.

Those prices are competitive with what you're going to find at department stores, even when you factor in shipping, and you'll be getting better shirts than what you'll find at almost any North American store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the idea of MTM because I have large shoulders and long arms for my waist and often shirts don't fit well. (Too loose around the body if my arms and shoulders fit, even with tall sizes)
I was considering Maxwell Clothiers in HK

https://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

but I did a search on the forums and most everyone was unimpressed with them. What can you guys suggest as far as retailers or brands?

Also I live in BC, Canada so anything local would be helpful.
I just stumbled across your post and had a similar question to yours.

I've been ordering shirts from Maxwell's for years. In my view, they're not bad. They will definitely (1) fit you well (it may take a couple of orders, but they WILL fit you very well) and (2) hold up well to wear and tear. In short, they're a good workhorse (lots of lawyers and accountants wearing them in Vancouver) and you'll be happy with them (not Gucci style/quality, but not the Gucci price either). (One potential drawback for you may be that it takes 2-3 months for the shirts to arrive from HK).

What I was wondering is whether there is one-step up in terms of quality of workmanship from Maxwell's for MTM shirts, preferably in Vancouver? It seems the price is either $65-$75 or so a shirt (from what I can recall for Maxwell's, all-in) or $275-$300 or so from my tailor. There doesn't seem to be anything priced in between. Is it just a function of the economics of buying material in bulk and mass producing the shirts? In other words, can a better quality MTM shirt (in presumably less quantities) simply not be made for $125-$150 or so? (In considering PJC's suggestion, what about jumping across the pond to London, or using any other HK shirtmakers)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
As I continue to absorb the wealth of information here, I stumbled across https://www.jantzentailor.com/, which seems to be recommended over others for a low-cost MTM shirt. I just ordered a shirt from them (after spending 1/2 the evening figuring out what the heck it was I wanted in a shirt). I used the measurements from my Maxwell's to provide the information, as well as from my wife who, at this point, is rather irritated at the time I am spending on this forum. It may be harder for you to provide your own measurements if you don't have a custom fit (or well tailored) dress shirt already though. Anyway, I'll let report back once I get my shirt.

I'll also give https://www.mytailor.com/ a shot, which is a notch above Jantzen from what I can gather.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Winners for shirts

I notice the thread started by a person in Kamloops so Winners might not be the same up there, but here in Vancouver I only buy from Winners. I still buy Corneliani suits and Gucci, Armani and Brioni ties (and actually most of these ties come from Winners when they get nice ties 1-2x per year), but the basic shirts they have just fit right. I think this goes back to yaletownguy's comment about tailored shirts, I like Geoffrey Beene because they often feel like they were tailor made for me. Even more so than a suit (since you don't mind paying to get it altered), the first is all about the fit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I echo the Land's End Custom selection. After spending (wasting?) money on everything from JosABank dress shirts to Zegna at Off Fifth, I made the wise decision a couple of years ago to solely get my shirts from either LE's Custom or Brooks Brothers. Haven't regretted it at all. And they are both within your budget.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are a number of places where you can buy t-shirts, but for excellent value for the price the choices start to wear thin (no pun). I'd probably check to see if I could buy from ebay something worthwile :cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can say for sure that their shirts fit better than most, because, obviously, you have tried most. You have personally tried shirts from thousands of MTM shirt makers all over the globe and the shirts from your preferred site fit better, for some definition of fit, and better, than most of those other shirt makers; right?

And the fact that every single one of your posts to this forum says exactly the same thing is not at all a coincidence, is it? No, how silly of me to have thought otherwise.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
BB to the rescue?

You are not all that far there in Kamloops from Vancouver, by the looks of things on Google Maps. Brooks Brothers has a store at 1026 Alberni Street, Vancouver BC V6E 1A3, Canada; 778-331-3394 or 604-678-2260.

Brooks Brothers offers well-made, classic designs in a variety of patterns and colors (mostly very "preppy") for $78.50 US, $199.00 US for three. Here's what they offer in their "slim fit" cut:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...erchant_Id=1&Section_Id=205&viewAll=t&sortBy=

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've been in a similar position as you and relied on online purchases of shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt,...
I will stand behind Tyrwhitt shirts for the price.

For $50 a shirt (average), you get a good shirt. Compared to some other similarly priced shirts, like PF, you are getting a much better product with a lot of nice choices like sleeve sizes and cuff style. I've been frustrated with most other stores which have limited sizes and cuffs. I like the fabrics and shape as well, but that might be due to my body shape.

Dante, you might want to start there and then move up later if you are tight on cash.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You are not all that far there in Kamloops from Vancouver, by the looks of things on Google Maps. Brooks Brothers has a store at 1026 Alberni Street, Vancouver BC V6E 1A3, Canada; 778-331-3394 or 604-678-2260.

Brooks Brothers offers well-made, classic designs in a variety of patterns and colors (mostly very "preppy") for $78.50 US, $199.00 US for three. Here's what they offer in their "slim fit" cut:

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCa...erchant_Id=1&Section_Id=205&viewAll=t&sortBy=
They have sales every few months and you should be able to get them for much less than the sticker price. During the July and December sales they are really good bargains.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I pay about $34 each for Ike Behar dress shirts when Sierra has their 35% off sales (+20-25% off coupon to go with it)... This happens a few times a year, so I'll stock up. Plus free shipping and no sales tax!

The only time I have beat that price-point is when I saw Ike Behar on clearance at Marshalls but they were french cuffed and I could not find my size! But they were $20 + tax.

Sticking with Sierra, I've been able to build a nice-looking wardrobe @ a low-price.

Shoes: Allen-Edmonds at a local discount store. When I'm lucky, I find them in $70 range.

Ties: Saks 5th Ave - when they have 50% off their clearance. I'm a big fan of Michael Kors ties (NOT "KORS by Michael Kors" - I'm young and some may be a bit fashion-forward), they are heavy and good looking. Also, I've found Kiton and Zegna ties in the $30-$40 range when they're having the 50% clearance sale. I find Zegna ties absolutely beautiful!

I'm low-income and quite honestly, I dress better than 90%-95% of the people at the office... even those making the BIG (six figure salaries).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.