Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I visit this site very infrequently. I'm at the point (38) where I think I need to stop wearing jeans and sneakers everywhere. My office is casual, but I would like to go business casual more often in my daily routine.

I was inspired by this piece. I'm sure that you guys will find fault with a great deal of the specifics, but I think it captures the general spirit of where I'm headed pretty well. ;-)
https://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker38.html

I'm on a fairly tight budget. Can you recommend decent chains and/or online sources for business casual clothes and one decent pair of black/brown dress shoes? Bespoke is out of my range at this point. ;-)

Oh, and recommendations on shirt colors and collar types?

All advice and pointers to info appreciated, thanks very much in advance!!

Chris

· Registered
294 Posts
Personally I use Brooks Brothers for shirts and ties, Jpress and Oconnols for suits, Joseph A Bank for trousers and Alden and Allen Edmonds for shoes. If you shop judiciously and watch for sales all(exept Aldens) can be had for a relative bargain.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Depending on how limited your budget is, either Joseph A. Bank on sale, or Brooks on sale. (Hint, hang around here a little more, and get an AAAC Brooks discount card.)

Bank is on sale pretty much all the time through their catalog and on-line. Do not pay full list for any Bank product. Discounts are 30% to 70% off supposed full list. Many criticize Bank's style, quality and pricing on an item by item basis, (And I'm one of them.) but if you have limited time and money, it's hard to beat for assembling a workable wardrobe of casual clothes.

Brooks has better quality and better style but significantly higher pricing. Buy it if you can, Bank if you can't.

· Registered
106 Posts
I agree with everyone's posts here. I think Land's End probably has the best deals overall. I think everyone would also agree that how your clothes fit is the most important thing, above quality. The one thing that took me a while to figure out is that shirts (and jackets) are available in trim/athletic fits, if you look for them. So, if you are in pretty good shape, a standard cut shirt will look pretty awful.

You need to learn something about sizing, and how clothes are supposed to fit. I know this sounds overly simplistic, but it really isn't that simple especially if you are not of an average american build. You can also buy an AskAndy CD through this website which gives a lot of good general information.

I'm also a fan of Paul Frederick clothes, who are a sponsor. They have a broader selection of colors/styles than Land's End, and might appeal a bit more to a young-ish person like yourself.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
I'm off Lands End after the pocket lining seams came apart at the bottoms on two pairs of trousers ordered from them at different times. Never again!

· Registered
34 Posts
From a fellow noob...

Since you're on a tight budget, I'm going to suggest something likely to be met with some derision: Take a look at a Burlington Coat Factory or equivalent for sport coats, slacks, ties, shirts, shoes, etc. The idea is not to put together the ultimate wardrobe but to get a serviceable wardrobe, at significant discount prices, to get started. That's a baseline that will serve you for a while, that you will then upgrade and expand upon over time with much higher quality purchases. I'm assuming most things at Burlington are seconds or overstocks, so examine everything closely for defects.

This is where I started just six months ago and now I'm more slowly upgrading, as I learn more about what to look for in quality and style. For example, this month I bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds and last year I bought my first new suit in 20 years. More will follow.

If, like me, you're on the steep part of the learning curve, my thinking is that it's okay to buy discount as you learn, not only what to buy, but how to properly care for it. I think you'll then have a greater appreciation for quality attire and why it's worth more, yet a greater value. Yet you'll already be dressed better than 80-90% of the population and will notice a change in both your self-image and how others treat you.

Keep coming back, however infrequently, and you'll learn much from this website. Better infrequently than not at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.