Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Attached are images of a Dior Tuxedo I have just purchased. I need to have the item adjusted. In general, these are the things I must get done:

1) Pants shortened (obviously)
2) Crotch let out just a tad.
3) Arm length adjusted (I like more cuff showing, and one arm is longer than the other ... go figure)

From these images, can you guys comment on what you think needs adjusting? I was thinking of bringing in the jacket a tad (I like close fitting suits) - but as you can see from the rear vent it may look like I have a "bubble but" (I assure everyone, I am 5'11" and 175lbs, I am fairly slim).

Additionally, I have decided to go with a satin bow tie. I do not own one hence the long tie in the pictures. What size of bow would you recommend I purchase for my neck / head size? The bow-tie will not be worn with this shirt. It will be worth with a "front fly" shirt from Clermont Direct. I have no idea of the quality of this shirt (hence, after arrival I may have to substitute it) - but it is the only fly front I could find after searching various stores in Toronto and coming up empty:

Many thanks everyone!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you pull up the sleeves to show cuff in the pictures? They look very wrinkled.

Not sure what you mean by "let out the crotch".

You could have the vent closed. Many here prefer no vents on a DJ anyway.
No, I didn't pull them up. The dress shirt underneath is a bit oversized, and since the tux is quite slim fitting, the sleeves became bunched while I was trying to shoot the pics.

By "let out the crotch" ... I mean it is a bit tight in that area. I have the same problem with canali 40R suits as well. The tailor usually has some room to open the fabric between both lets at the crotch. --- wow, that felt awkard :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Take care of the flaps on the pockets - you can tuck them in if you can (for now), but I would remove them permanently (if possible).

Single vent just looks out of place - I would close it.

About the shoes - those are "not correct", and on top of that not terribly attractive. All they have going for them is that they are patent. I would get something that is more on par with otherwise nice formal outfit.

I would not thinker much more with the waist - there is already some shape and some pulling at the button closure - but if you wish a closer fit, feel free to do it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I do too, except . . .

I like it. Except the shoes.
. . . I have no problem with the shoes. There seems to be a tendency for a "uniform" approach here, especially for evening wear. Slight variations are frowned upon by some. Those shoes look fine to me, if a little attenuated.

Resetting the crotch seems to me to be quite an undertaking. If your tailor can do it well for a reasonable cost, fine. However, I'm thinking that you may need to go up a size on the trousers and then take in the waist, rather than basically restructuring a complex element like the crotch. Another concern is what effect this type of alteration has on the fly and its various parts. Nevertheless, if it can be done reasonably, it should be done if it's a matter of comfortable fit. That's certainly not an area where undue confinement is easily tolerated.

BTW, I really think that you would look much sharper in a bow tie than that rather askew four-in-hand.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Do not take in the waist anymore. it already has some shape, and taking in anymore will only increase that bubble butt look and make the jacket almost effeminate. Also, i agree to have the flaps tucked in and the pocket stitched shut. The shoulders seem to fit well.

Letting the crotch out shouldn't be a huge problem from my experience. as long as that seam has some allowance it can be done to provide a better fit without any other issues. Just double check that the back of the pant hangs straight after the alteration is done.

The sleeve appears at the right place now, but it's all bunched up. I would imagine when it's straight that it is too long

·
Registered
780 Posts
I disagree with the consensus. Leave the vent and the flaps. Your
tux looks derivative of a Paul Stewart model from 1965, which
I still own(and fits!). It is is "Ivy League" in style. Your model is more
close fitting. If you wish to wear a vest with it, which I prefer, you
might need to let out the jacket a bit. As for the shoes, rounder
toes would work better. If you opt for another shirt, I would
go for something in creme or off-white; adds subtlety to
the overall impression.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.