Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the following is a better suit color for year round use? a medium brown pinstripe or a solid medium olive color. Both go equally well with my skin tone. Is one more versatile than the other? Any pros or cons that you guys can think of?
I already have the basics (the navy, the grey, the charcoal, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Which is the following is a better suit color for year round use? a medium brown pinstripe or a solid medium olive color. Both go equally well with my skin tone. Is one more versatile than the other? Any pros or cons that you guys can think of?
I already have the basics (the navy, the grey, the charcoal, etc.)
In the NE neither of those colors are worn much for business, and some might find them odd in that context. But, heck, I like both and, you're not in the NE!

Either can be dressed up or down depending on the cut and details of the suit and what you decide to wear with it. My personal preference for an olive suit would probably tend more to a darker olive, at least for business wear. Medium brown with pinstripes should work pretty well in Texas, at least during the warmer months, which is most of the year. Dress it up with a spread collar, double cuffs a solid tie and nice PS, the right shoes and you're good to go any place except a more formal event. Dress it down with a more casual tie and shoes, and you're off to the races. (Or maybe a date!)

Don't know how gents are dressing in your part of Texas, but even if med. brown isn't big, you'll know you're dressed just fine, as long as you don't mind a little extra attention.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd say a darker tone is better for year round. As an aside it's interesting considering the earlier posts on presidential influence on clothing and Obama's penchant for Olive-brown suits that this thread is arising now.

I'm not implicating causality, but it is quite the correlation.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'd say a darker tone is better for year round. As an aside it's interesting considering the earlier posts on presidential influence on clothing and Obama's penchant for Olive-brown suits that this thread is arising now.

I'm not implicating causality, but it is quite the correlation.
If your not "implicating" causality then what is the correlation?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm a big fan of both olive and brown, as they go well with my natural coloring, too. I'd lean toward olive for your next suit purchase, but it isn't a hard lean. Either would be a good choice -- it's not the same ol' blue-or-grey but not wildly out of bounds, either.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
There Is Finally a Free Lunch!

Which is the following is a better suit color for year round use? a medium brown pinstripe or a solid medium olive color...
Fall is all the reason you need to wear earth tones more!

The question of the brown suit for business in the USA was examined thoroughly recently but of course I can't find it now... Molloy suggests a medium brown solid as a good choice for public speaking and a dark brown pinstripe to enhance your credibility.

While olive can be quite good for some skin tones, personally, I don't fancy it much (reminds me of the service)...

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Which is the following is a better suit color for year round use? a medium brown pinstripe or a solid medium olive color...
Fall is all the reason you need to wear earth tones more!

The question of the brown suit for business in the USA was examined thoroughly recently but of course I can't find it now... Molloy suggests a medium brown solid as a good choice for public speaking and a dark brown pinstripe to enhance your credibility.

While olive can be quite good for some skin tones, personally, I don't fancy it much (reminds me of the service)...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Eh, as a pale redhead, I've been told that those colors in question are what I should be claiming. However, I've heard that olive suits suit the redheaded types just dandily.

Personally, I'd pick both. Ok, maybe the brown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.