Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been building my wordorabe for almost 3 years now, I have 20+ suits but only a few blazers. In the past couple of months I have added a few quality pieces, mostly from Isaia which is by far my favorite brand. I'm looking to add two more pieces. One would be a more casual jacket, something I can wear with jeans or chinos on the weekend and another one would be something in medium weight mostly for office and work. Here are the options I have came accross so far. Which is the best value and would be more appropriate for those application?

Casual jackets:

1- Isaia - Base S in Brown ($669) - Of course the list has to start with Isaia!

2- Sartoria Partenopea - Dark Grey ($460) I'm not really familiar with this brand but I really like their fabrics, some look very similar to Isaia. This one is probably appropriate for office wear too.

3- Barba Napoli - Navy Blue ($419) I like their shirts, they are very slim fitting, not sure about the quality of their suits/blazers. Has anybody tried them?

Medium/Heavy weight:

4- Kiton - from Cipa line ($757)- all the ones I have tried so far have been a tad wide at the shoulders but overall fit is very nice

5- Sartoria Partenopea ($546)

6- Isaia - Gray Plaid Flannel ($790)

Let me know what you think :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,998 Posts
I actually like most of them to varying degrees. I can tell you I’m not crazy about the Kiton. I don’t care for the fabric.

I think the Isaia grey flannel is really nice and would be quite versatile, though definitely a seasonal option.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Before really getting into suggestions, what sportcoats are currently in your arsenal? I assume you already have a go-to navy blazer.

As an aside, I stumbled across Belvest last year at my local shop and have a few of their items and have been very pleased. During your searches, if you happen to across the brand and are curious, I would heartily recommend it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I have a couple of navy blazers. They both look more like an orphaned suit than a blazer tho.
Belvest does make very nice jackets but I haven’t came across one in my size yet.

·
(aka TKI67)
3,196 Posts
If you do not have a warm weather blazer and a cool weather blazer that look like true navy blazers, I’d start there. I don’t know your general style, but there are a lot of nice looking jackets out there that are called blazers but just aren’t. My preferences are hopsack for summer and doeskin for winter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with navy blazer is I can’t wear it with navy pants. I’ve at least half dozen pairs of navy pants in my wardrobe.
Navy is somewhat more formal than brown or grey flannel. I prefer something more casual for work.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
The problem with navy blazer is I can't wear it with navy pants. I've at least half dozen pairs of navy pants in my wardrobe.
Navy is somewhat more formal than brown or grey flannel. I prefer something more casual for work.
Yes, I understand that. When I mentioned switching out the buttons on your navy blazers, I was specifically responding to your observation (lament?) that the blazers looked more like orphaned suit jackets.

What you would wear to work and which trousers you would wear with your blazers are valid issues, but I wasn't attempting to address them.

Peak and Pine is on the right track about suggesting you consider a "Cracker Jack" hat to complement your blazers. However, I recommend a straw boater. It might be too late for this year, but get one for next summer. If you don't, I'll be bitterly disappointed.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
The problem with navy blazer is I can't wear it with navy pants. I've at least half dozen pairs of navy pants in my wardrobe.
Okay. But jackets and pants don't garner equal attention. Most everything's in the jacket. Eyes up here please. Unless you're wearing ass-less leathers (mine are at the cleaners). The pant part of an ensemble gets far less notice.

(The house across the street from you, the white one with the half-moon shutters, what's the foundation, concrete, brick, stone, you have no idea. Because it's what's on top that counts.)

Is this just a nut-so ramble? Why yes, but with hidden nuggets of priceless info. You've laid out pretty major bucks on high-end jackets. Would that we all could do that, rather than taking the paltry few extra bucks we have and giving them to the homeless and the Mayor Pete campaign, but be that as it may, consider scrapping most of your dozen pair of navy pants and get something that can go with a navy blazer (for chr**t's sake). Something in kahki, many shades of Hindu-esque available. Khaki is the BaskinRobbins of sand'ish color pants. Cotton and/or wool. Forward pleats or no pleats. These swell jackets that you've latched on to, mostly a darker hue as I recall. They need something the same or lighter beneath them.

·
(aka TKI67)
3,196 Posts
Well if you shy away from navy blazers because you are heavily invested in navy pants you probably ought to disregard my advice. I am of a Trad predisposition that includes as one of its hallmarks an aversion to navy pants. Other than as part of navy suits I just don’t buy them. I like navy blazers paired with Cambridge grey tropical worsted or flannel, Oxford grey tropical worsted or flannel, cotton khakis, olive wool gabardines, and Nantucket reds, in that order. All but the reds, in the appropriate seasonal weight, also pair well with my limited arsenal of odd jackets (camel, grey herringbone, predominantly brown dogstooth, pale green silk, and red white and blue Madras). It’s a meager mix by the standards of these fora, but it’s ample, maybe even excessive, for a Texas retiree!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes, I understand that. When I mentioned switching out the buttons on your navy blazers, I was specifically responding to your observation (lament?) that the blazers looked more like orphaned suit jackets.

What you would wear to work and which trousers you would wear with your blazers are valid issues, but I wasn't attempting to address them.

Peak and Pine is on the right track about suggesting you consider a "Cracker Jack" hat to complement your blazers. However, I recommend a straw boater. It might be too late for this year, but get one for next summer. If you don't, I'll be bitterly disappointed.
I don't think I can pull that off but we have an older gentleman at work that rocks
those hats. Looks pretty neat!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
:meme:

Such a prevalent idea it’s even in the smiley function on this site.

Grey trousers are wonderful and I don’t consider them less formal than navy trousers, especially if they’re in a tropical wool.

Someone, somewhere said that if you can’t wear grey trousers with a jacket...put it back.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
:meme:

Such a prevalent idea it's even in the smiley function on this site.

Grey trousers are wonderful and I don't consider them less formal than navy trousers, especially if they're in a tropical wool.

Someone, somewhere said that if you can't wear grey trousers with a jacket...put it back.
I don't care for grey trousers with brown jackets and I love brown jackets.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I actually like most of them to varying degrees. I can tell you I'm not crazy about the Kiton. I don't care for the fabric.

I think the Isaia grey flannel is really nice and would be quite versatile, though definitely a seasonal option.
So the brown Isaia is out correct?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.