Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of shell cord penny-loafers for Christmas. The fit is fine except for the seam just over the inside of the instep on one shoe, which rubs on my somewhat prominent bone. Any suggestions beyond returning them? I really love the shoes except for this one annoyance.

·
Registered
921 Posts
As a doctor that has been treating ailments of the foot/ankle both medically and surgically for over 20 years, my suggestion would be to return to the shoes.

Although other responses may be to let the leather stretch, etc., I advise patients to not purchase any shoe that is not comfortable immediately at the time of purchase. I do not advise "waiting" for a shoe to become comfortable or making accommodations to a shoe to make it become comfortable. There are many alternative shoes, therefore I would not settle for a shoe that was not comfortable from day one.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Try this first:

You need to wear them a bit before you give up on them. As long as they are leather, they will stretch and conform to your foot's shape.
Then this:

^Or you can have that area of the shoes stretched a bit, by your local cobbler! Would your new shoes be Alden Leisure Handsewn's, perchance? ;)
No pics?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Please note in my post above I meant to say "return the shoes" NOT "return to the shoes"!! And I'd once again reiterate my feelings that a shoe should not have to be "broken in", stretched, etc., but should fit comfortably at the store, or the first time you try it on, and not after adjustments.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Please note in my post above I meant to say "return the shoes" NOT "return to the shoes"!! And I'd once again reiterate my feelings that a shoe should not have to be "broken in", stretched, etc., but should fit comfortably at the store, or the first time you try it on, and not after adjustments.
I must say I very appreciate your highly professional and useful advice.

I had an opposite problem before Xmas. Having bought nice cap toe oxfords in internet shop, they were very comfortable from the first moment. But they seemed to me "too long". I have rather hard time to force me not to change them.

It may seems silly but your very simple but wise advice can help many people save pain and money. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Amen

Take them back and get a wider shoe. you may need to put a tongue pad in the wider ones. or try a different last for the shell cordovans.
You will regret wearing a shoe that has a detectable fit problem from the get-go. Surely the place they came from can come up with a pair in the same style that doesn't have that seam problem. Just try on a couple in your size and see.

Shoes are miracles of fit, if you think about it. Try walking more than a few steps with a tiny rock digging into your foot, and you can instantly appreciate what a triumph of fit even cheap shoes usually are. Since there are sometimes minute variations in any manufactured product, it seems likely to me that you can walk out with the same style shoes and a smile on your face.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.