Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I finally bought a pair of park avenues (from shoebuy.com at around 220$ after all the discounts, great deal!). But I am still not sure how to care for them.

I read AskAndy's shoe care guide but I would like to confirm everything and hopefully this will help future beginners! So here are some questions:

1. Do I need the silicone spray for water protection Andy talks about? How often should I use it and where can I find it?

2. For a Park Avenue, is the AE Premium Shoe Polish enough? Do I still need the AE Shoe Cream or the Carnauba Wax Shoe Polish?

3. What's the difference between the split toe and full toe cedar trees?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
1. I don't use it, and I wear rubbers when it is rainy or snowy.

2. I don't use AE Premium shoe polish. I use conditioner about once every 10-20 wears, and I use polish (I have some AE wax and some Kiwi) once ~5 wears. I'm sure people will debate me on my shoe polish choice, but I'm not changing - at least for now.

3. Full tree:
https://woodlore.com/mm5/images/mens_full_tree.jpg

Split toe:

I prefer split toe because I have a narrow foot so they seem to fit a bit better.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
One thing that's important to know about the Park Avenues is that they won't look really shiny until they've been polished regularly for a long time. So when you do maintain them, don't think you have to keep going until they glow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If I wear a 10EEE, should I get a full toe then?

And once I get the shoes, what should I do with the heels? Get rubber taps after a few months? And how does this affect Allen Edmond's policy on resoling (can i still get it resoled if i add taps or even Topy's?)

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

And once I get the shoes, what should I do with the heels? Get rubber taps after a few months? And how does this affect Allen Edmond's policy on resoling (can i still get it resoled if i add taps or even Topy's?)
Don't know about Topy's, but adding rubber (my cobbler tells me they're actually nylon) protector plates to the heels and toes should not affect resoling prospects.

·
Banned
661 Posts

I do not think taps will affect re-soling.

I find the heels on AEs to be very hard and long wearing. However, I have found the tip in the toe area to wear very quickly on AEs.

Taps are not rubber, but a hard synthetic that can be slippery on hard surfaces like stone or hardwood. Since the staple or nails do not wear as fast, they can also scratch hardwood floors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Park Avenues are a very rugged, long-lasting shoe. All you will need to do is keep them buffed and polished and they will do the rest. I wouldn't worry about doing anything else to the heels. The rubber heel is very, very durable. I recently had mine recrafted after 13 years of bi-weekly wear and the heels still looked good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.