Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Site Creator
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our esteemed members, storeynicholas, has written a book that looks fabulous. It's the History of Men's Fashion: What the Well Dressed Man is Wearing. I just ordered a copy.

To get your own copy contact storeynicholas directly: [email protected]

How to get the book depends on where in the world you live in the world!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I read it the other day...quite amusing and hopefully should arouse some debate on this forum (if any other members read it)...

• Blue blazers should not be worn with grey flannels.
  • White tie and tails is correct for a daytime investiture.
  • Thomas Pink was an 18th century mayfair tailor.
  • Full dress/white tie is called "full fig".
I would recommend it. It is good fun.

W_B

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I've arranged to be given a copy for Christmas and am certainly looking forward to reading it!

Here's an extract from an online store review to give a flavour:

Review
Anyone aiming for timeless elegance, rather than temporary chic, will benefit from Storey's authoritative, but readable book. --Esquire magazine

Product Description
In his quirky guide to what the well dressed man is wearing, barrister Nicholas Storey rummages through the history of men's fashion and explores what to wear, where to purchase it and where to be seen wearing it. Quizzing some of our best-known men's fitters, he discovers what suits men and why, as well as revealing some of history's worst fashion errors. Tailored to fit anyone interested in the history of men's fashion, this is a must-read book, not just for its wealth of information but for the
fascinating facts which is what makes this wonderful tome such an exciting and humorous read. No well dressed man should be seen without it.

Did you know?

* The Duke of York was involved in a scandal over his trousers and typhoid;
back in 1892, before he became George V
* Panama hats are made from toquilla palm
* Fred Astaire used to roll up the rug of his Savile Row tailors and dance on the parquet floor to test the fit of his new coat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
One of our esteemed members, storeynicholas, has written a book that looks fabulous. It's the History of Men's Fashion: What the Well Dressed Man is Wearing. I just ordered a copy.

To get your own copy contact storeynicholas directly: [email protected]

How to get the book depends on where in the world you live in the world!
Is the title a Wodehouse reference?

·
Site Creator
11,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm imagining Andy is referring to all members of AAAC as esteemed, as a merit of being part of AAAC.

Regardless, the book looks quite interesting, and seems to be received well, congratulations!
I was probably thinking e-steamed, as in "without wrinkles" !! :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
31 Posts
ah, we, we have esteemed, e-steamed, and, I suppose, plain old steamed, which, colloquially, at least on this side of the pond, is a long ways from esteemed.
which brings up a question for the barrister--is it ever appropriate to wear a poacher's cap with a shooting jacket, or would the jarring juxtapose leave the gamekeeper baffled--whether to tip his own cap to the guest in the shooting jacket, or apprehend the poacher.
and the 28 ga. Purdy's should be a matched pair, of course, black powder, barrels with a Damacus twist, and preferably inherited, not bought at auction.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.