Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I didn't see a certain place here to do so, so I thought I would say hello.

I've been reading this site for a while and thought I would join. Very interesting topics here! :icon_smile:

I enjoy chatting about nice clothes, but am kind of budget-restrained about making any significant additions.

I do like shoes--I just got some Cole-Hans recently--is that a good purchase?

Best Regards,

Guy (I'm named after the Fred Astaire character in "The Gay Divorcee")

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome, and don't let a restrained budget stop you. There are still great deals to be found to help people expand their wardrobe with quality.

As to your question about Cole Haan, the shoes can be somewhat hit and miss. They were definately consistently better before Nike came into the scene, but I think there are still some good offerings I've seen. Only time will tell for you, but if you take care of them properly it'll always help.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, and don't let a restrained budget stop you. There are still great deals to be found to help people expand their wardrobe with quality.

As to your question about Cole Haan, the shoes can be somewhat hit and miss. They were definately consistently better before Nike came into the scene, but I think there are still some good offerings I've seen. Only time will tell for you, but if you take care of them properly it'll always help.
Thanks, omane. I guess EBay is the best way to find quality goods at a good price? How do you tell if an EBay Seller is any good?

I found my Cole-Haans to be very comfortable. I stand up a lot during my work day (Store Manager), and they seem to provide good support.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
She calls a bathroom "the loo", and when she calls somebody, she says "She is giving them a ring." :icon_smile:
I say both of those. They're quite standard turns of phrase and not a regional thing at all.

However, you mean she calls the toilet /WC /lavatory the loo. ;)
In the UK a bathroom is a bath/bathing room. As it has a bath or shower in it used for washing/bathing. Most bathrooms in the UK don't contain a toilet. In most residences in the UK the two rooms are separate, unlike Sweden and the US where both functions tend to be in the same room in houses and flats at any rate.
In fact in all the houses and flats I lived in in the UK I never had a bathroom that had a toilet in it. The two were always separate rooms.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks, omane. I guess EBay is the best way to find quality goods at a good price? How do you tell if an EBay Seller is any good?

I found my Cole-Haans to be very comfortable. I stand up a lot during my work day (Store Manager), and they seem to provide good support.
I've found some good deals on well-used but great-looking Allen Edmonds shoes on Ebay. However, since you spend a lot of time on your feet, I would avoid used shoes unless they're "practically" new. Allen Edmonds has an ebay store and sells seconds/ cosmetic blems on auction for good prices. I might look into that if I were you. When you wear them out, you can send them in for complete refurbishment.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've found some good deals on well-used but great-looking Allen Edmonds shoes on Ebay. However, since you spend a lot of time on your feet, I would avoid used shoes unless they're "practically" new. Allen Edmonds has an ebay store and sells seconds/ cosmetic blems on auction for good prices. I might look into that if I were you. When you wear them out, you can send them in for complete refurbishment.
WOW! How good is this "complete refurbishment"? Is it included in the price of the shoe, or is there an additional charge?

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
But why would somebody call a rest room a "loo"? :confused:
It's just an informal word for lavatory. Some people even say lavvie.
Anyway "loo" comes (like many other terms in British English) from the French word for water closet i.e. lieux d'aisance, which of course is pronounced "loo day-sonce"

Just like you American chappies pronounce lieutenant correctly. And abbreviate it to Looey or Lewie

Why we prononce it Lef-tenant I'll never know. Because we still use the phrase "in lieu of" and then we pronounce it correctly as loo.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's just an informal word for lavatory. Some people even say lavvie.
Anyway "loo" comes (like many other terms in British English) from the French word for water closet i.e. lieux d'aisance, which of course is pronounced "loo day-sonce"

Just like you American chappies pronounce lieutenant correctly. And abbreviate it to Looey or Lewie

Why we prononce it Lef-tenant I'll never know. Because we still use the phrase "in lieu of" and then we pronounce it correctly as loo.
Thanks for the info, Earl! Yep, languages can be pretty interesting. I believe the Hebrew for refrigerator is "Frigidare," which of course is really a brand name.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
The strangest one I've ever come across is the Russian word for railway station, which is vakshal (hal as in the name Hal not as hall in hallway)

The history:

Russian delgation in London mid to late 1800s
English guide on showing them the jewel in the crown of railway stations said "This is our very best, Vauxhall"

(The name of that station was changed to Victoria after her death.)

Misunderstood and the rest is history. Told this many years ago by a Russian friend and didn't believe it until I saw it in black & white in front of me in a dictionary.

Very strange!

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The strangest one I've ever come across is the Russian word for railway station, which is vakshal (hal as in the name Hal not as hall in hallway)

The history:

Russian delgation in London mid to late 1800s
English guide on showing them the jewel in the crown of railway stations said "This is our very best, Vauxhall"

(The name of that station was changed to Victoria after her death.)

Misunderstood and the rest is history. Told this many years ago by a Russian friend and didn't believe it until I saw it in black & white in front of me in a dictionary.

Very strange!
Interesting story, Earl. Thanks!

You, I just realized I forgot to mention what kind of store I manage: it's a beauty supply store. We stock all kinds of hair care and skin care products.

Salon owners buy from us in bulk; others just buy a little at a time.

We also have a small salon in the back--I get a free manicure every week, so at least my nails always look nice. :icon_smile_wink:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Guy;

Nice to haveyou join us. As Andy said if you have good taste that will help but also, if you stick with classic styling and decent quality you can build a very nice wardrobe on a restricted budget. I started that way and did very well for the first several years of my career. I don't know where in Texas you are from but if you get to some of the outlet stores or just watch for big sales at some of the Dept. stores in your area you can always find something good at a good price. Shoes are always something to watch as you can find many good deals. Just know your size in each style or brand.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
Welcome. For your budget consciousness, add Sierra Trading Post to your shopping list. Much more reliable than unknown Ebay sellers.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guy;

Nice to haveyou join us. As Andy said if you have good taste that will help but also, if you stick with classic styling and decent quality you can build a very nice wardrobe on a restricted budget. I started that way and did very well for the first several years of my career. I don't know where in Texas you are from but if you get to some of the outlet stores or just watch for big sales at some of the Dept. stores in your area you can always find something good at a good price. Shoes are always something to watch as you can find many good deals. Just know your size in each style or brand.
Thanks, Tony. Right now, I wear a lot of Brooks Brothers--my cousin works there and I get a sizable discount. ;)

Bedford is pretty close to Fort Worth--I believe there are some outlet stores in the area. I'm sure my wife could direct me. :icon_smile_big:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.