Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting three new suits: a Canali medium-dark (not Navy) blue birdseye (from FB) and two BB 1818's (2-for-$998). One 1818 is a solid Navy; the other will be charcoal gray to replace my current "go to" charcoal gray suit, which I'm retiring from my rotation.

Initially, I assumed I would get a charcoal gray solid. The BB salesman, however, has suggested that I consider a subtle charcoal gray herringbone (although the link is to a brown herringbone, he trying to bring a charcoal gray one in from another store), or sharkskin.

I've received conflicting opinions whether a subbtle herringbone or sharksin can substitute for a solid charcoal gray. I am a lawyer in public service. Unlike our brothers at the big firms, Firday is our only "business casual" day, and even then it's optional.

What do people think, and why?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I personally think a nice small scale herringbone is richer and has more depth than a solid charcoal. Either the picture is not doing that herribone justice, or it is not woven in a way that appeals to me. Overall I would suggest a herringbone, and hopefully the charcoal looks better in person.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The charcoal gray is a must have in a men's wardrobe. If you already have a charcoal gray suit, then the small herringbone pattern is a great choice. Personally I really like the herringbone pattern suit you mentioned. It has more depth and will be a very elegant alternative to the solid charcoal gray suit. It is less boring, and from a fashion standpoint much more interesting without being flashy. Looking at the suit and the sale you mentioned makes me want to get 2 new suits too!!! :icon_smile:

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
All three options are versatile, but a solid is the most versatile. If you have herrningbone shirts or ties, they wouldn't work with a herringbone suit. How many suits do you have in your rotation? If you don't have to wear it more than once a week a herringbone or sharkskin would be fine. I'm quite fond of both herringbone and sharkskin suits myself, but I love my solid charcoal most.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
While my charcoal suit is solid, my navy suit has a very tiny herringbone pattern. I've heard it referred to as a "mini-bone". It tends to give the material a little more "depth" while still being a solid navy suit. I wouldn't care if my charcoal suit had a similar pattern but I don't think I would want the herringbone pattern to be any larger unless I had more than one charcoal suit.

Cruiser

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The charcoal gray is a must have in a men's wardrobe. If you already have a charcoal gray suit, then the small herringbone pattern is a great choice. Personally I really like the herringbone pattern suit you mentioned. It has more depth and will be a very elegant alternative to the solid charcoal gray suit. It is less boring, and from a fashion standpoint much more interesting without being flashy. Looking at the suit and the sale you mentioned makes me want to get 2 new suits too!!! :icon_smile:
I'm retiring my current charcoal gray solid. From a distance, the herringbone appears solid. Hence, presumably, the salesman's suggestion that I consider it or a sharkskin in substitution for a conventional solid.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I like the thought of sharkskin
But do you think this would be the best choice given that it will be his only charcoal suit and his "go to" suit? Maybe I'm wrong but I interpret that to mean it will get more wear than his other suits and I would think that sharkskin would stand out more than the plain charcoal; thereby making it more difficult to keep folks from noticing that you are wearing the same suit. In other words, harder to disguise with different shirts and ties.

Like I said, perhaps I am wrong as to how the suit is to be utilized; but if I'm not, I think that the sharkskin would be my last choice. Just wondering.

Cruiser

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All three options are versatile, but a solid is the most versatile. If you have herrningbone shirts or ties, they wouldn't work with a herringbone suit. How many suits do you have in your rotation? If you don't have to wear it more than once a week a herringbone or sharkskin would be fine. I'm quite fond of both herringbone and sharkskin suits myself, but I love my solid charcoal most.
Four (but one mtm suit has two pairs of pants). I'm retiring my charcoal gray solid. With the additions, the new total will be six (plus one suit with a second pair of pants).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But do you think this would be the best choice given that it will be his only charcoal suit and his "go to" suit? Maybe I'm wrong but I interpret that to mean it will get more wear than his other suits and I would think that sharkskin would stand out more than the plain charcoal; thereby making it more difficult to keep folks from noticing that you are wearing the same suit. In other words, harder to disguise with different shirts and ties.

Like I said, perhaps I am wrong as to how the suit is to be utilized; but if I'm not, I think that the sharkskin would be my last choice. Just wondering.

Cruiser
By "go to" I mean that it (or the navy blue solid) would be my choice for an important oral argument, client meeting, etc.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I'm getting three new suits: a Canali medium-dark (not Navy) blue birdseye (from FB) and two BB 1818's (2-for-$998). One 1818 is a solid Navy; the other will be charcoal gray to replace my current "go to" charcoal gray suit, which I'm retiring from my rotation.

Initially, I assumed I would get a charcoal gray solid. The BB salesman, however, has suggested that I consider a subtle charcoal gray herringbone (although the link is to a brown herringbone, he trying to bring a charcoal gray one in from another store), or sharkskin.

I've received conflicting opinions whether a subbtle herringbone or sharksin can substitute for a solid charcoal gray. I am a lawyer in public service. Unlike our brothers at the big firms, Firday is our only "business casual" day, and even then it's optional.

What do people think, and why?
These both are vey nice. Either would be good for less formal days at the office.

·
Senior Moderator<br>Technical Support
2,654 Posts
I'd go for the sharkskin. In fact, I am going for the sharkskin, as soon as I can pick one out. That weave gives the fabric a subtle visual interest that enhances the natural color variegation of charcoal but remains conservative enough for just about any job interview/wedding/funeral type of situation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Interesting. I just posted a question about my grey herringbone suit. I am in a formal business environment and I love my herringbone. It is still conservative but absolutely more sophisticated and expressive than sharkskin or a solid. And the pattern itself can be subtle or not so subtle. Do you wear it to a board meeting over the navy or navy pinstripe? That is the question.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Wow -- how did this four-year-old thread get resurrected?

My answer is something different -- birds eye or nail head. It has some nice texture, but not patterned like herringbone, nor boring as plain gray. Nailhead also has more shirt and tie options.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.