Men's Clothing Forums banner

need some good socks... educate me

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cdavant 
#1 ·
I think it's time I coughed up the dough to buy some decent socks. I'm not sure where to begin or how much I should expect to spend, but I want to get some socks that are dressy, machine-washable, and don't make my feet feel so sweaty. For example, I have a nice pair of Allen Edmunds shoes, but when I wear them my feet feel moist, and in the winter it has the paradoxical effect of making my feet simultaneously sweaty and cold. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Pantherella and Marcoliani are two brands to look at. Most seem to favor Marcoliani these days. They are both nice to me - I tend to stick with Pantherella because you can find them at low ($12-15) prices at STP and NMLC. I'm not sure how they perform in terms of sweat-management though.

#3 ·
I wear socks from Ben Silver .....

Cotton OTC in summer and merino OTC in winter. They come in a variety of colors and in sizes. They are made in Italy, but Silver doesn't teel you the Italian brand. They run around $32 a pair, which is about the usual retail price for fine men's hosiery. I have looked at dozens of web sites and haven't found anything better. Some will say Pantherella, but these do not come in all the colors of Silver's. Gold Toe is fine for some, but I like to splurge on socks and am not interested in saving money. For sport socks, the best I've found is Nagrani. They are woven patterns, unusual, and machine washable. They are available in cotton or wool. Cotton is about $35 per pair, merino is $39 per pair. They have their own website.

I might add that all the above socks are machine washable. Wash in cold water with socks turned inside out. Hang dry, never put in dryer.

#12 ·
Will, if you scan this thread again ....

I checked the O'Connel's site where you said you got Marcoliani socks, bur I could not find any OTC other than a few argyles. Also, they don't have the pastel colors that Silver stocks; eg, pale blue, pink, red, tuquoise, orange etc. I have searched many sites and cannot find any Marcolioni socks which match these two criteria. Also, the Nagrani now come in OTC, which is a must for me. If you know of someone who carries anything like I like, please post it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.