Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to buy 2 pairs of shoes, black and brown. I need to wear them with shirt and tie but would also like to be able to wear with a suit if i need to. Would like to get Park Avenues but cant afford $300. Comfort is a main priority as i will be on my feet alot but want them to be well made and look nice. I was thinking at most i can spend is $300 on the two pairs of shoes. Would love AE but they are out of price range, right any suggestions and make and style. thanks

640 Posts
Need to buy 2 pairs of shoes, black and brown. I need to wear them with shirt and tie but would also like to be able to wear with a suit if i need to. Would like to get Park Avenues but cant afford $300. Comfort is a main priority as i will be on my feet alot but want them to be well made and look nice. I was thinking at most i can spend is $300 on the two pairs of shoes. Would love AE but they are out of price range, right any suggestions and make and style. thanks
Combine invntories eBay and the Shoe Banks and you might be able to get a pair or black and a pair of brandy AE Drydens togetehr for under $300. That shoe should fit your dual needs. And the lighter brown of the brandy will go well in the tropical Caymen Islands. :icon_smile_wink:

· Registered
127 Posts
I'm in about the same boat, and I purchased a pair of brown chelseas and a pair of black monkstraps from Charles Tyrwhitt. Nice shoes, and the total price was less than 300 dollars on sale. Not Allen Edmonds by any means, but the calfskin models are good enough quality, and the selection is alright. There are quite a few threads on them if you use the search function.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can anyone suggest alternate brands. the only ones i know are Alden and Allen edmonds, Johnston and murphy, alden is definately to expensive. What about Cole Haan. I have been wearing kenneth cole and they are made real cheap are not real comfortable and are expensive for how they are made it seems

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Cole Haan is a decent shoe - they have a weird finish put on, but if you take them to a cobbler they can strip off that silicony fake shine stuff.

· Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Actually, if he were to buy today (the last day of the ongoing AE sale), jackets5 could get two pair of AE Park Aves...keeping the cost close to $300 max, specified in the OP. Pickup the black ones as a second and the the brown Park Aves could be bought as 50% off the discontinued price of the brown Park Aves. For additional details check the applicable thread in the Deals and Steals forum!

· Registered
266 Posts
can anyone suggest alternate brands. the only ones i know are Alden and Allen edmonds, Johnston and murphy, alden is definately to expensive. What about Cole Haan. I have been wearing kenneth cole and they are made real cheap are not real comfortable and are expensive for how they are made it seems
Ecco.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
$300 is a lot of money for a pair of shoes. But keep in mind that a classic pair of well-made shoes that fit you well can last you for 20-30 years - possibly for the rest of your career. And AE's, unlike a lot of less expensive shoes, are still available in lettered widths. As the old saying goes, "when you buy the best, you only cry once". Obviously, if you can't, you can't. But give some thought to going for a quality shoe and cutting back on something else in your wardrobe.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I think im going to try to AE's on discount. There is a AE outlet store near where i live in NY so i may try there. What i really want are a pair of Park Avenues and 2 pairs of loafers (penny type) but i cant afford 3. My GF thinks the AE's Penny (think the randolph's) look a bit Old man'ish and likes Cole Haan better but AE is a better shoe right? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.