Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Now that I am starting to build a quality wardrobe I wanted to get some new hangers to substitute for the mismatch of different styles I am using now. I wear a larger suit (48L) so that factors into my decision. A few questions:

1) Are Butler v. Hanger Project worth the cost? They have larger sizes w/ Hanger Project seemingly having larger sizes than Butler. If not worth it, what does everyone recommend (w/ large sizes if possible)?

2) What style/type of Trouser hangers? Is the felt bar recommended? How does the felt compare to ones that have a silicone coating?

Lastly, is the quality of hanger really that important? Will it really ruin suits to use cheap hangers?

Thanks!

- Rob

·
Registered
384 Posts
About a year or so ago, in preparation of getting rid of the hodge-podge of hangers in my closet, I bought a couple of hangers from Hanger Project and a couple of types of much, much cheaper look-a-likes from China on eBay. Long story short, the quality seemed identical and I now have a closet full of chinese hangers (plus those two from Hanger Project).

I bought a dozen and a half of (the link was chosen because they ship from the US, but you'll find umpteen sellers of identical hangers). Additionally I bought the same number of , but for some reason or other all the very cheap chinese versions have disappeared.

Anyway, the hangers I picked up have held up very well (although a year is hardly very long) and look great.

Finally: no, hangers aren't really that important. Billions of men have used cheap, skinny hangers for many, many decades without ruining their suits, jackets and coats. Personally I swapped out mine simply because I wanted to do so, not because I thought I needed to do so, and none of my clothes have ever been damaged in the slightest by the cheap and nasty hangers which are now history.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
About a year or so ago, in preparation of getting rid of the hodge-podge of hangers in my closet, I bought a couple of hangers from Hanger Project and a couple of types of much, much cheaper look-a-likes from China on eBay. Long story short, the quality seemed identical and I now have a closet full of chinese hangers (plus those two from Hanger Project).

I bought a dozen and a half of (the link was chosen because they ship from the US, but you'll find umpteen sellers of identical hangers). Additionally I bought the same number of , but for some reason or other all the very cheap chinese versions have disappeared.

Anyway, the hangers I picked up have held up very well (although a year is hardly very long) and look great.

Finally: no, hangers aren't really that important. Billions of men have used cheap, skinny hangers for many, many decades without ruining their suits, jackets and coats. Personally I swapped out mine simply because I wanted to do so, not because I thought I needed to do so, and none of my clothes have ever been damaged in the slightest by the cheap and nasty hangers which are now history.
Good Looking hangers, no size listed. wondering if there are too wide for my 38 jackets?

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
There is one caveat with cheap hangers:
If they're the plastic type for suits with a trouser bar, the bar is often covered with a foam-like material. This material deteriorates over time and turns to powder, which is a pain to remove from your trouser fabric.

Hangers CAN be too cheap...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I almost got some hangers from the Hanger Project, but ended up buying a pack of nice, wooden hangers that were similar off of Amazon. It's not that I didn't want to support the Hanger Project, but I got six hangers for about the price of one Hanger Project hanger. And they seem to work just fine. Normally I don't mind paying for quality, but in this case, I just couldn't stomach the cost.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Contoured wooden hangers that I've used have come from stores from which I've purchased garments and was allowed to take the hanger with me, from the store Bed, Bath and Beyond and from the Container store. Over time, based on the ones that I have kept in service, the Container store hangers seem to have the edge. As for hanging trousers, I use the suit/trouser hangers featuring the hinged compression bar for dress trousers and the ribbed bar for cotton poplin's, khakis and :)oops:) blue jeans. Good luck in your hunt! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya i have no concerns that the Container Store hangers are good enough quality for me - was just concerned if the ribbed rubber trouser bar on their hangers holds up over time being non slip compared to the felt bar on more expensive hangers.

·
Site Creator
11,759 Posts
While the Hanger Project does have some nice hangers, they tend to be a bit expensive. I've found perfectly acceptable suit hangers at the container store for a fraction of the price.
I've found some of Hanger Project hangers lacking in quality. I usually have to tighten up the hook.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I too have used mostly the hangers that come with the clothes I've purchased that have the compression bar Eagle references. The only issues I've had is that over time the bar tends to loosen up and I find the trousers dangling from their cuffs. Or the bar is so tight as to leave a ridge on the trousers. Then for a period of time they do the Goldilocks routine and go from too tight to just right before becoming too loose.

I have found hangers with some sort of traction, be it felt or rubber on the bar to be the most satisfactory. They are usually more inexpensive than the wooden compression bar hangers. The cheap ones at BB&B work well for trousers, but with woolen ones if they sit on the hanger too long without being worn, they tend to develop a ridge. Heavier wooden models don't have as pronounced an effect due to the thickness of the bat distributing the weight over a fatter fold of the legs. Unfortunatly then you're getting into a major expense with them going for upwards of $29 a pop for Hanger Project.

After this thread began, I started a search for hangers to better meet my needs that wouldn't require me to spend thousands of dollars like my shoe trees have. I have recieved the following and found them satisfactory.

For suits, sports coats, and outerwear from EBay 19 packages at $18.99 per package of 5 (18" x2"). By J.S. Hanger (China)
5 Pack Solid Durable Wooden Extra-Wide Shoulder Suit/Coat Hangers, Retro Finish
Furniture Wood Gesture Table Font

For trousers from Wooden Hanger USA at $159.95 per package of 100 (comes as 25 or 50 also) (no matter how hard you look, despite the name, I cannot locate the country of origin. Therefore considering the price, I suspect the USA in their name is just a cheesy deceptive marketing tool to disguise their third world child slave labor origin).
15" SLIP-DEFENSE WALNUT PANTS HANGER (https://www.woodenhangersusa.com/

Furniture Ruler Shelf Rectangle Wood

For sports coats, and outer wear the trouser bar is unnecessary. However, I could not find coat hanger with the 2" rounded ends without a trouser bar for less than those above with the trouser bar. These have met my criteria. Only time will tell if they leave a fold mark on the trousers, but the bar seems thick enough to do the trick.

It still ended up running me $600 to hang everything I needed to properly. But I would have had to take outa mortgage if I had gone shopping at the Hanger project.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You might try thrift stores for good wooden hangers. It's also interesting to see those which were usually given away with the purchase of suits and sport coats in days past and come from stores no longer in business. I have one from Maxx's Mens Wear in Charleston, one from Tate Brown in Charlotte, a couple from JO Jones in Charlotte etc. While the businesses no longer exist, their quality hangers which were a part of the purchase of quality goods from them linger. Most of mine come from discarded suits my dad purchased in the 50's and 60's which is also a nice "walk back through time"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For trousers from Wooden Hanger USA at $159.95 per package of 100 (comes as 25 or 50 also) (no matter how hard you look, despite the name, I cannot locate the country of origin. Therefore considering the price, I suspect the USA in their name is just a cheesy deceptive marketing tool to disguise their third world child slave labor origin).
15" SLIP-DEFENSE WALNUT PANTS HANGER (https://www.woodenhangersusa.com/

View attachment 19485

It still ended up running me $600 to hang everything I needed to properly. But I would have had to take outa mortgage if I had gone shopping at the Hanger project.
I was just wondering what you thought of the Wooden Hanger USA Pants Hangers? Is the bar non-slip? Came across these as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Other than hangers which usually come with suits, most are inadequate, I prefer hangers that mimic the shoulder that have trouser clips to allow trousers to hang naturally. I also employ a method of weaving the trouser legs through the bar and tension wire on those types of hangers which will give extra security to avoid slipping, may cause some creasing but not a problem for me, as I will always refresh my garments prior to wearing. Sorry, but I cannot provide illustrative diagram but if you think about it it should become clear.

·
Partner / Administrator
1,798 Posts
Due to the limited closet space we have in our bedroom, my wife recently switched us from all wooden hangers to Premium Heavy Duty Velvet Hangers, that look similar to the ones below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYF2MH6/ref=asc_df_B01MYF2MH65354095/

Not only did we gain a great deal more space (which my wife claimed for her own), the hangers are very sturdy overall -- especially the horizontal bar for hanging pants.

My only gripe with them is that sometimes, primarily when we hang much heavier articles on them, the hook part will strip out of the body.

It's very rare, but it does happen occasionally.

Now I just have to figure out how I get more than 5-10% of our closet space.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.