1,258 Posts
Either in either style.

None is not an option.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Will
Pfalzgraf Join Date: June 15th, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think colored squares are appropriate on all but the most solemn occasions. Purple, burgundy and bright red solid squares provide a good contrast with black (sometimes with matching hose, or black hose with similarly colored clocks).

Pdfs of the different ways to fold a pocket square are at https://www.lordwhimsy.com/trifles/tutorials.html. Try the carrot tonight.

·
Arbiter CBDum
2,008 Posts
Of the choices, I prefer white linen. My own black tie square is white with a black border and black and red hairline plaid. I like just that little tiny hint of red.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally I would go for white silk or a slightly thicker white fabric which is woven in contrasting stripes of white (I have one in my possession but not presently accessible - pretty sure it is silk). I have always found red on black tie ensembles to be either repulsive if it's bright(ish, making an adjustment for those with some taste) red or not very attractive in other tones such as burgundy.

There is a strong case for sticking with the simple geometry of a black & white ensemble because it's been found to work. Over and over.

If you want to have some contrast, how about this?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't know much about this type of dress, but I saw Clint Eastwood wearing a red one at some awards ceremony and I thought it looked good and, of course, white is always right.

I realize that with the Hollywood crowd wearing notch lapels, long ties, and other rule breaking items that one could easily look better and I would have thrown a red PS in with those items if I had not seen it. Apparently others here like the idea too.

Another source for more ways to fold a square than you probably want to know can be found at www.samhober.com.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I just received my OTC scarlet formal hose ...

from Ben Silver. New Years eve I will wear a one button grosgrain tuxedo with peak lapel. Black faille silk tie and cummerbund (Robert Talbott), opera pumps, silk scarlet pocket square, and silk scarlet OTC socks. Shirt will be pique bib and cuffs and turn down collar with black and gold onyx studs and cuff links. Braces will be white, which no one will see anyway. The socks may be too Fashion forward for some, but I like taking the handkerchief color down to the socks.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
White linen for sure. I think a point fold would look great too.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
What David V said you must have one.

As well as white & burgundy you can try red or black. I have a friend always wears a black silk one, very effective and subdued, but still there. Good for people who don't want that spot of colour.

A dinner jacket without a hankie in the pocket is as wrong as wearing a three piece suit without a tie.

·
Registered
294 Posts
must have a square with your DJ - that seems to be the rule...except for velvet smoking jacket (imho) where I think it looks a little too contrived.

I use a white silt square with a slight black/ white pattern on the very edge- almost part of the rolled bit - bought it from T&A a few years ago - looks very sharp.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
True.

And I think white works best on all occasions anyway from Christmas party to opera house. You can't go wrong with white.

But I have seen people go wrong with red. I was at a spring ball once, everyone in DJs, everyone with white and a few greens to indicate spring/summer, except for one chap with red. He had a rough evening!

The seasons can play a role in other words. Him wearing red in May just wasn't the done thing!

But this time of the year, red is acceptable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.