Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me put a price on some Vintage jackets that I've bought for purposes of resale.

The first is an Armani leather cafe racer in distressed/chocolate brown. NOT Armani exchange or the lower tiers of Armani....this jacket was bought in Florence in 1983. Leather is in superb condition, lining has some pilling. Branded Giorgio Armani, has eagle...thing, embossed on the back.

[/URL][/IMG]

Secondly, a GENUINE B3 shearling flight Jacket. US Army Issue with supply code in black, size is XS, but would fit a small/medium. This one is basically perfect...just a little dusty.

[/URL][/IMG]
Outerwear Coat Sleeve Jacket Collar
Brown Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
The Armani has very little resale value, especially given the very dated embossing on the back. The B3 has some, but the black shearling makes me think this is a reproduction, rather than issue, and possibly intended for the fashion market. I would guess under $200, possibly closer to $150, including shipping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Armani has very little resale value, especially given the very dated embossing on the back. The B3 has some, but the black shearling makes me think this is a reproduction, rather than issue, and possibly intended for the fashion market. I would guess under $200, possibly closer to $150, including shipping.
Well, that's ok really. I should make 100% on the B3 (which truly is authentic) and the Armani....well, I'm in the tank a little under 100$ dollars, so I should at least get that back. Or maybe take a slight hit. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the reply. and for being helpful.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Well, that's ok really. I should make 100% on the B3 (which truly is authentic) and the Armani....well, I'm in the tank a little under 100$ dollars, so I should at least get that back. Or maybe take a slight hit. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the reply. and for being helpful.
Good news on the B3--since it's authentic it should sell well!

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Also, Wilde was a fairly terrible poet....grandiloquent and broad.
I must agree and disagree with you at the same time. First, while his poetry was a bid odd, Wilde was a genius. He could be pompous and self-deprecating in the same poem. That was part of his appeal. He never wanted to be mainstream and/or normal. He made a living from his delightfully uninspiring arrogance.
Yes, I must admit that I enjoy the works of Tranströmer. Having recently read through, "The Great Enigma," it's easy to see why he was a Nobel laureate. Like Tranströmer, my wife is a psychologist. She keeps several of his poetry collections at her office.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I must agree and disagree with you at the same time. First, while his poetry was a bid odd, Wilde was a genius. He could be pompous and self-deprecating in the same poem. That was part of his appeal. He never wanted to be mainstream and/or normal. He made a living from his delightfully uninspiring arrogance.
Yes, I must admit that I enjoy the works of Tranströmer. Having recently read through, "The Great Enigma," it's easy to see why he was a Nobel laureate. Like Tranströmer, my wife is a psychologist. She keeps several of his poetry collections at her office.
There's a kind of simple yet profound elegance to Transtromer. He really is as incredibly talented minimalist poet...it's very difficult to do well. He also has an uncanny ability to induce anxiety in the reader which may be unparalleled.

Have to agree to Disagree on Wilde. That's my modern bias coming through however-- Auden is pretty much where I draw the line.

If you like poetry, I can recommend a little known Australian Poet by the name of Geoffrey Lehman who is very talented. Here's a sample.

https://www.poetrylibrary.edu.au/poets/lehmann-geoffrey/five-days-late-0169039

·
Suspended
10,801 Posts
Prince: My congratulations, Wilde. Your latest play is a great success. The whole of London's talking about you.

Oscar:Your highness, there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

(There follows fifteen seconds of restrained and sycophantic laughter.)

Prince: Very witty Wilde. Very very witty.

Whistler: There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and that is not being witty.

(Fifteeen more seconds of restrained and sycophantic laughter..)

Oscar: I wish I had said that Whistler.

Whistler: You will, Oscar, you will. (more laughter)

Oscar: Your Highness, do you know James McNeill Whistler?

Prince: Yes, we've played squash together.

Oscar: There is only one thing worse than playing squash together, and that is playing it by yourself. (silence) I wish I hadn't said that.

Whistler: But you did, Oscar, you did. (a little laughter)

Prince: Well, you must forgive me Wilde, but I must get back up the Palace.

Oscar: Your Majesty, you're like a big jam doughnut with cream on the top.

Prince: I beg your pardon?

Oscar: Um... It was one of Whistler's.

Whistler: I didn't say that.

Oscar: You did James, you did.

Prince: Well Mr. Whistler? (The Prince of Wales stares expectantly at Whistler.)

Whistler: I meant, Your Majesty, that uh, like a doughnut your arrival gives us pleasure and your departure merely makes us hungry for more. (laughter)

Right, Your Majesty is like a stream of bat's p*ss.

Prince: What?

Whistler: It was one of Wilde's.

Oscar: It sodding was not! It was Shaw!

Prince: Well Mr. Shaw?

Shaw: I... I merely meant, Your Majesty, that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

Prince: (accepting the compliment) Oh.

Shaw: Right. (to Prince) Your Majesty is like a dose of clap.

Prince: What?!?

Shaw: Before you arrive is pleasure, but after is a pain in the dong.

Prince: Well Mr. Wilde?

Wilde: Um ... what I meant, Your Majesty, what I meant ...

Prince: I'm waiting.

Wilde: What I meant was...

(Wilde blows a raspberry)

(The Prince shakes Wilde's hand. Laughter all round.)

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, TweedyDon is absolutely correct in his assumptions regarding the B3's provenance. The USAF currently has no active contracts for the purchase of B3 designs and the old Army Air Corps contracts never specified dyed shearling. Also take a look at the leather finish on the coat in question...where is the evidence of aging that would have occurred as it sat in storage. Leather, even if it is unused, dries out over the course of time. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To the best of my knowledge, TweedyDon is absolutely correct in his assumptions regarding the B3's provenance. The USAF currently has no active contracts for the purchase of B3 designs and the old Army Air Corps contracts never specified dyed shearling. Also take a look at the leather finish on the coat in question...where is the evidence of aging that would have occurred as it sat in storage. Leather, even if it is unused, dries out over the course of time. ;)
Hi eagle,

on the basis of this comment and tweedy's I made a phonecall to the head of the largest Army surplus/supply chain in Australia, who is a very knowledgeable man. B3 flight jackets are indeed issued in limited numbers currently, however he sated that he's about 95% certain that what I have is a copy, albeit a rather good one. That's mostly owing to the fact it's black; this would be a special order and extremely rare, and simply not something that's going to turn up for resale without provenance. About as probable as finding a Unicorn drinking from your birdbath.

So I will be listing this as a copy based on best advice. I still think I can pull around 200 USD for it...it is a very nice shearling jacket, after all.

Thankyou for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
So I will be listing this as a copy based on best advice. I still think I can pull around 200 USD for it...it is a very nice shearling jacket, after all.
Thankyou for the heads up.
It will sell. However, I think that if you list it for $200 USD, it's going to sit for a while. If you are listing this in Australia, it will do better as it's coming up on winter there. The thing about combat aviator jackets is that selling price is based more on authenticity than condition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It will sell. However, I think that if you list it for $200 USD, it's going to sit for a while. If you are listing this in Australia, it will do better as it's coming up on winter there. The thing about combat aviator jackets is that selling price is based more on authenticity than condition.
I payed around 100 AUD$--I think closer to 120, considering postage. Not sure what the exchange is right now, last time I checked it was hovering around 80 cents on the greenback, so I'm happy to let it relist on ebay or whatnot and should see a return.I don't really resell things to make a substantial profit. It's just a hobby, really. Not sure how much of a market there is for these things here, but I've seen a few sell over the years. Happy to let it sit on ebay and relist relist if need be.

Not all states in Australia really get a true winter. Being based in QLD, I can attest to that. We're at the tail end of summer right now and it's 36c at my place currently. Still getting very violent storms, the one that rolled through a couple of day ago knocked out power from 125,000 houses.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post more items for review as they come to me. I mostly resell leather items, especially attache cases, and jackets. All vintage.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Prince: My congratulations, Wilde. Your latest play is a great success. The whole of London's talking about you.

Oscar:Your highness, there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

(There follows fifteen seconds of restrained and sycophantic laughter.)

Prince: Very witty Wilde. Very very witty.

Whistler: There is only one thing in the world worse than being witty, and that is not being witty.

(Fifteeen more seconds of restrained and sycophantic laughter..)

Oscar: I wish I had said that Whistler.

Whistler: You will, Oscar, you will. (more laughter)

Oscar: Your Highness, do you know James McNeill Whistler?

Prince: Yes, we've played squash together.

Oscar: There is only one thing worse than playing squash together, and that is playing it by yourself. (silence) I wish I hadn't said that.

Whistler: But you did, Oscar, you did. (a little laughter)

Prince: Well, you must forgive me Wilde, but I must get back up the Palace.

Oscar: Your Majesty, you're like a big jam doughnut with cream on the top.

Oscar: Um... It was one of Whistler's.

Whistler: I didn't say that.

Oscar: You did James, you did.

Prince: Well Mr. Whistler? (The Prince of Wales stares expectantly at Whistler.)

Whistler: I meant, Your Majesty, that uh, like a doughnut your arrival gives us pleasure and your departure merely makes us hungry for more. (laughter)

Right, Your Majesty is like a stream of bat's p*ss.

Prince: What?

Oscar: It sodding was not! It was Shaw!

Prince: Well Mr. Shaw?

Shaw: I... I merely meant, Your Majesty, that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.

Prince: (accepting the compliment) Oh.

Shaw: Right. (to Prince) Your Majesty is like a dose of clap.

Prince: What?!?

Shaw: Before you arrive is pleasure, but after is a pain in the dong.

Prince: Well Mr. Wilde?

Wilde: Um ... what I meant, Your Majesty, what I meant ...

Prince: I'm waiting.

Wilde: What I meant was...

(Wilde blows a raspberry)

(The Prince shakes Wilde's hand. Laughter all round.)
From "The Importance of Being Python"?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.