Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a pair of RM Williams Craftsman in chesnut. My only problem is I am unsure of which style to purchase(Comfort Craftsman or Craftsman w/leather sole). How much grip does the non slip on the comfort give compared to the leather sole. Also Does the microfibre insole on the comfort's make much of a difference. I am drawn to the leather sole but I keep thinking the non slip would be the more practical option .Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What leather are you planning on getting them in? A finer leather like the french veal (which I have in a Craftsman in Chestnut on leather soles) would seem to demand the more svelte leather sole, while perhaps a coarser leather like the kangaroo would not. Also depends

I also have a pair of RMW Gardeners w/the composite sole, and it's a very tough sole indeed (going on 3+ years of multiple wearings per week, including hiking, and they're showing virtually no wear at all). Definitely grippier than the leather.

Can't help w/the relative comfort of the comfort insole vs. the regular one. They're great boots at any rate!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just bought a pair of yearling Craftsman with the leather sole. I hear that the Comfort model is.... well, more comfortable. Not only does it have a composite bottom, but a cushioned insole as well. In rain/snow/slush, the composite sole would be much better. Many people on these forums would only consider a leather-soled shoe, but I saw the Comfort Craftsman in NYC, and you wouldn't know it was a composite sole from above.

I like my pair a lot. I did put one of those Dr. Scholl inserts in them to them make it more comfortable. However, I'm already considering getting the Comfort version as well. I like the boot so much, I hate not being able to wear it when the weather is foul. I live in upstate New York, so for me, foul weather is from December to April.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It really depends on what you want the boots for

I had a pair years ago with leather souls [they were either craftsman or the turnout], and now have a pair that are a little over 8 years old with composite souls, and are cut like the craftsman, but do not have the insole or liner they describe in the current catalogue. Each had its advantage - the leather souled boots are dressier, and more attractive, but the composite soul boots have been longer lasting and have served me really well over 8 slushy NYC and Chicago winters. If you want sturdy, hard-wearing, water-proof, go with the composite souls, if you want sportier, dressier, go with the leather soul. You cannot go wrong - I loved both. RM Williams makes a great boot.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I,too,have the calf Craftsman with the non-slip composite sole,for maybe seven years or so_Obviously,the non-slip is good to have in foul weather,etc.,and the sole does not detract from the boot's good looks.Handsome and durable,top to bottom!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.