Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else in the forum, but my search uncovered only one other question on this topic and it was unanswered.

I have two taupe suits (I realize that "taupe" is pretty ambiguous in terms of the array of colors it is used to describe) and was wondering what color shoes I should pair with them. One of the suits definitely leans towards the gray color of taupe and one is more the brown color. My initial thought would be to pair black shoes with the gray taupe and brown shoes with the brown taupe, but are there other alternatives? Would cordovan work with either or both? In pairing brown shoes with the brown taupe, must they be light brown or would a darker brown work as well?

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
472 Posts
Cordovan would work with either. I have a taupe (greige) suit and my cordovan balmorals look great with them. If you don't have any cordovan shoes, now is the time to branch out from brown or black.

· Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I agree that oxblood (more often called cordovan, though cordovan is really another name for shell leather) will look great, as will many shades of dark brown. As it happens, I wore a pair of taupe odd slacks today with dark brown reversed calf monks. These shoes have little of the richness I most prefer in browns, but that made them even better suited to taupe. There are also some lighter leathers that tend toward taupe, rather than the more golden tan. These are known by different names, pine, sometimes even called walnut. But what I'm trying to describe is lighter more neutral leather with less yellow in it.

Don't care for black, though I suspect they wouldn't be jarring. Just wouldn't do anything for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.