Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, lost 40 lbs since January. Was never obese. Went from 227 to 190 lbs, at 6'4". So, now all my Charles tyrwhitt and Banana Nice-ish shirts don't fit. Got rid of some of them on Craigslist, but don't really want to give them to Goodwill or something, preferring that they ended up with someone who appreciates nice shirts.

Related issue is now it's hard to find shirts that fit. I went from an 18 to 17 neck, and, of course, sleeves are the same at 37. Don't need too many because I work from home but occasionally meet prospective clients and have business travel internationally. Got a few BR sport shirts in grant fit, and went to many other stores but could not find shirts I didn't regard as billowy. Any suggestions on what to do with my remaining now too large shirts, and where to find slim fitting shirts. My chest is around 45".

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The Brooks Brothers Milano fit is fairly lean. Lots of sales this time of year so probably you can find something. I have never been unhappy with BB shirts. They hold up well although some might complain about their non iron fabric but they carry a decent amount of shirts that are more expensive in higher end fabrics. I have a few TM Lewin John Francomb shirts which is a slim fit - not sure they have 17 37 but again a decent inexpensive shirt. I like my shirts fairly fitted so most of the time I am MTM or Bespoke so if you keep the weight off you may want to consider that route.

I just took a look at the TM Lewin site - the John Francomb appears to no longer be marketed and they do have 4 fits on their shirts but the slimmest don't go to 37 sleeve length although the slim fit does. I don't know - Caveat emptor!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
So, now all my Charles tyrwhitt and Banana Nice-ish shirts don't fit...but don't really want to give them to Goodwill or something, preferring that they ended up with someone who appreciates nice shirts.
Tyrwhitt and Banana Republic shirts are adequate, but are hardly heirloom quality. Give them to Goodwill "or something" and be rid of them already.

P.S. I have found some fine shirts at Goodwill and I appreciate them. Goodwill does a lot of customers a lot of good. This is true whether they elect to shop there for the thrill of the hunt (as I do) or whether they need to shop there because of a highly restricted budget. The clothes, regardless of who buys them, get appreciated to some significant degree.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tyrwhitt and Banana Republic shirts are adequate, but are hardly heirloom quality. Give them to Goodwill "or something" and be rid of them already.

P.S. I have found some fine shirts at Goodwill and I appreciate them. Goodwill does a lot of customers a lot of good. This is true whether they elect to shop there for the thrill of the hunt (as I do) or whether they need to shop there because of a highly restricted budget. The clothes, regardless of who buys them, get appreciated to some significant degree.
I work in international humanitarian development, so am pretty familiar with what happens to the vast majority of clothes donated in the West. They get shipped off and sold to the developing world because there's simply way too much to sell in the US etc. Since my size is quite large at 18/37, and most places these would end up have smaller guys, the donation would end up getting Goodwill or whomever pennies, and someone in the developing world will have an ill fitting shirt, at best, or the shirts get pulped. I'd rather someone here use them, maybe like those programs that give interview clothes to people who need them.
Re heirloom quality, not needed, just reasonably good fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Brooks Brothers Milano fit is fairly lean. Lots of sales this time of year so probably you can find something. I have never been unhappy with BB shirts. They hold up well although some might complain about their non iron fabric but they carry a decent amount of shirts that are more expensive in higher end fabrics. I have a few TM Lewin John Francomb shirts which is a slim fit - not sure they have 17 37 but again a decent inexpensive shirt. I like my shirts fairly fitted so most of the time I am MTM or Bespoke so if you keep the weight off you may want to consider that route.

I just took a look at the TM Lewin site - the John Francomb appears to no longer be marketed and they do have 4 fits on their shirts but the slimmest don't go to 37 sleeve length although the slim fit does. I don't know - Caveat emptor!
Thanks, I'll check out tm Levin, but tried the BB Milano at a store and they were too loose on the torso.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

No dice. Tm lewin has 17/36 and 17/38, no 37 for some reason. Also, looking at their size guide, chest for 17 collars does not change with the fit. Always 46.

Re weight, it's come off slowly over a year and continues to do so due to a new diet and exercise regimen. So doubt, it will come back. At about 3 lbs a month, this is no yo yo weight loss.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I work in international humanitarian development, so am pretty familiar with what happens to the vast majority of clothes donated in the West. They get shipped off and sold to the developing world because there's simply way too much to sell in the US...and someone in the developing world will have an ill fitting shirt, at best, or the shirts get pulped. I'd rather someone here use them, maybe like those programs that give interview clothes to people who need them.
Good point. A while back, another member stated pretty much the same thing regarding the glut of unwanted used clothes, but I had forgotten his comments until you jogged my memory. "Schmatta" was the term he used to refer to the mountains of second-hand garments that never find a decent home.

(It's a wonder how this planet manages to keep producing enough cotton to make up all the new shirts, pants, sweaters, etc. out there. Year after year with no letup.)

Maybe someone at the Franklin Community Center can give you some suggestions. Or post photos of the shirts in this thread stacked next to a sign that says "FREE!"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point. A while back, another member stated pretty much the same thing regarding the glut of unwanted used clothes, but I had forgotten his comments until you jogged my memory. "Schmatta" was the term he used to refer to the mountains of second-hand garments that never find a decent home.

(It's a wonder how this planet manages to keep producing enough cotton to make up all the new shirts, pants, sweaters, etc. out there. Year after year with no letup.)

Maybe someone at the Franklin Community Center can give you some suggestions. Or post photos of the shirts in this thread stacked next to a sign that says "FREE!"
FCC here is a tad hard to deal with as they are small, get tons of stuff, and only are available to receive items a few hours one day a week, during the work day. I'm going to check with Albany Mission.

Re. cotton growth, and the immense water and pesticide needs, that's an ongoing issue, and an argument for owning a few good products as opposed to throwaway fashion.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Maybe work in a reference to Footloose and Toulouse, France in there ? ...
...and for the benefit of us older members, let's not forget the character of cantankerous Uncle Tonoose, played by Hans Conreid, on the 1950s-60s TV sitcom "Make Room for Daddy," starring Danny Thomas. "Uncle Tonoose" was my favorite character on that show.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No dice. Tm lewin has 17/36 and 17/38, no 37 for some reason. Also, looking at their size guide, chest for 17 collars does not change with the fit. Always 46.
Then choose the 38" and pick the "Adjust your sleeve length" option directly below it. If you have a 45" chest, why would a 46" chest in a shirt be so wrong? Worst case scenario: You have the shirt taken in an inch.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm guessing most people on this forum are less needy than the folks I'm thinking about.
...and for the benefit of us older members, let's not forget the character of cantankerous Uncle Tonoose, played by Hans Conreid, on the 1950s-60s TV sitcom "Make Room for Daddy," starring Danny Thomas. "Uncle Tonoose" was my favorite character on that show.
Lost me with this reference

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For an OTR shirt BB milano is about as lean as you can find so I suspect you may be looking more at MTM. Once possibility is to have them altered - either taken in or darts added.
For all this trouble (responding to 12 and 13), I may as well get shirts made. Although, according to this https://www.shirtdetective.com/shirt-search-engine/
there may be hope with Dalvey slim fit and CT extra slim fit. Anyone heard of Dalvey?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Lost me with this reference
Which one? Uncle Tonoose, Hans Conreid, Make Room for Daddy, or Danny Thomas? Or all of them?

Ah, well, Google can come to your rescue, if you are ever interested.

People who didn't live through the 1960s missed a lot. Not saying I'd want those days back again-the war in Vietnam, political assassinations, and summer riots were terrible enough the first time-but I'm glad I experienced the uniquely fascinating pop culture of that decade first hand.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which one? Uncle Tonoose, Hans Conreid, Make Room for Daddy, or Danny Thomas? Or all of them?

Ah, well, Google can come to your rescue, if you are ever interested.

People who didn't live through the 1960s missed a lot. Not saying I'd want those days back again-the war in Vietnam, political assassinations, and summer riots were terrible enough the first time-but I'm glad I experienced the uniquely fascinating pop culture of that decade first hand.
I caught the last 2 years of the 60s, so all of the above references mean nothing to me. I'm just glad I went through high school and college before the Internet became ubiquitous and smart phones became an epidemic of constant distraction.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
If making two clicks on a website (for the sleeve change) and the mere possibility of a chest size alteration spell trouble for you, I doubt that MTM (as you suggested in post 15) is the way to go for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.