Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to travel to Los Angeles today or tommorrow for a funeral and I just found out that my current shoes suck when it's wet.

That said, this gives me the excuse I need to buy the Allen Edmonds I've wanted.

First I need a place to shop in the Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale area.

Second and this is the hard one, I'm looking for the Strand in Walnut.

Any suggestions would help greatly. I know I should have bought them when I was in SF at the AE store, but that is not an option.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
or suggestions????

The Strand I believe is a 5 last and it fits me the best in AE 10.5D.

I would be willing to give another maker a try in the same price range (250-350), a similar fit, oxford with broque.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Hey Andy if you are avail for a quick coffee please email.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
If there are any local men's shops of great renown in the Glendale-Burbank-Pasadena area, I haven't heard of them (I lived in the Glendale-Burbank area for seven years, but haven't in 14 years) with the exception of Carrol & Company on Lake Street in Pasadena. They don't stock A-Es but have a reasonable selection of Aldens.

Otherwise, Nordstrom is probably the best option if you don't want leave that vicinity. You could save some money by going out to the A-E outlet store at the Desert Hills Premium Outlets in Cabazon, but that expedition would consume about four hours travel and shopping time. If you have the time, it might be worth it if you wanted to stock up on several pairs.

I believe the Strand would only be sold in the A-E store at South Coast Plaza down in Costa Mesa and (possibly) at the Cabazon outlet, but I'm not positive about this.

· Registered
6,066 Posts
This was of no help to you?

=

Let your fingers do the walkin ...

either of these look close

Nordstrom
189 The grove Drive, Ste P80
Los Angeles, California 90036 USA
Phone: 323-930-2230

Shoe Masters
350 S Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90071 USA
Phone: 213-628-8777

There's always overnight shipping from the ShoeMart or something.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Sorry for the loss as well.

AEs are easy to find; there should be a Nordstrom within range.

On a related note - it sounds like your shoe collectino may still be in its infancy. I would refraing from buying the Strand as one of my first pairs of quality shoes. The Strand is very nice, but its use of heavy broguing makes it a bit less versatile than, say, AE's own Park Avenue.

For occasions such as a funeral it is more appropriate to go with a relatively austere cap toe.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Bring some band aids for your heel....not having a chance to break in a new pair of shoes is going to be tough on your feet.

Sorry for your loss.
I've never had that problem before. In fact, I find Allen Edmonds shoes to be more comfortable than msot sneakers.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
I've never had that problem before. In fact, I find Allen Edmonds shoes to be more comfortable than msot sneakers.
I wore my first pair of Park Ave the day after I bought them, and tore my heel to shreds.

Took them home, broke them in around the house, and they have never hurt since. Do the same with every pair I buy, and after 3 or 4 days at home - they are good to go.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Wore my new pair of Randolphs to work 2 days before I ran the Miami Half-Marathon. Dumbbbbb. Needed blister patches on both heels. Thank goodness they worked! Needed a couple of wearings but now they feel great.

· Honors Member and King Fop
6,032 Posts
I've never had a problem "breaking in" A-Es. They were always good to go when I got them. I was very particular about the fit, however. I've had A-Es on the old 0 (in bluchers, not bals) 1, 4, 5 and old 8 lasts that all fit me very well.

The #2 and the new #8 are a lousy fit on my feet. The new #0 is so-so.

· Registered
244 Posts
I wore a pair of freshly purchased, new AE Saxons to an uncle's funeral and had to read the eulogy. I had to consciously work to banish the thought of those uncomfortable shoes from my mind prior to ascending the pulpit. I sold them within a week of that solemn occasion. Maybe I take a 12E instead of D in Saxons? I've nevered cared enough to find out.

My condolences for your loss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.