Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading my wardrobe.

I just purchased two new Hickey Freeman suits and need a couple pairs of shoes to go with them. I bought a grey nailhead and a navy pinstripe, both two button single breasted. One is split vent and one is double vent. They are both conservative but very nice. I am a partner in a consulting company and am primarily responsible for biz dev work, and some delivery.

I travel a ton, and would like to wear a dressy slip-on with them so I can get through airport security faster. I have a couple pairs of lace up Ferragamo's and AE's that are conservative shoes, but wanted to do something a little different. Guys, I am 40 and have been wearing lace up cap toes for close to 20 years (Sanfords, etc.) and just want a change.

Couple questions. Can I wear a dressy slip on with these suits? I wear the suits with a crisp starched solid color point collar shirts and no tie (white, blue, bright blue, etc.). I very rarely wear a tie and neither do my clients.

What do you guys think of the following shoes with these suits? Have I fallen of the fashion deep end?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Thanks for your help fashion gurus!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will take your word for it that the airport situation is that big of a deal. Having said that, I would definitely go with some sort of elastic gusseted style over a loafer. I think lace-ups or maybe monks are needed with a suit, and many on this site would say only a balmoral is acceptable with the suits you are describing. Can you get away with it? I don't think many people in the real world would bat an eyelash. The lack of tie probably helps.

Style wise #1 is OK, #2 I like, and #3 I do not care for (appropriateness with a suit aside).

I do not have any experience with the quality of this brand but a search would probably turn up something on this site.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Of the choices presented I like the monkstrap best. I think there are better loafers to be found out there. The split toe model in particular strikes me as odd. Split toes look good on bluchers, but on loafers it seems like too many styles are being crammed together on the same shoe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your feedback gentlemen! Do you think the dark brown color of the second shoe is OK to wear with a navy pinstripe and a medium grey nailhead? Yes, this would be without a tie and would likely include a solid color dress shirt with a point collar.

·
Site Creator
11,756 Posts
Traditionally only a lace up shoe (oxford) is worn with a suit. However if your business situation allows a loafer then it's OK. Just be aware that for most business an oxford is more appropriate.

And remember if you buy anything from Amazon.com be sure to go to their site throught the Amazon banners on this site!!

Ask Andy Selected Merchants for Menswear, Shoes, and Grooming

·
Registered
305 Posts
Absolutely. Brown shoes are quite acceptable with both patterns/colors and, if well chosen, will look richer and enhance the outfit.

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen! Do you think the dark brown color of the second shoe is OK to wear with a navy pinstripe and a medium grey nailhead? Yes, this would be without a tie and would likely include a solid color dress shirt with a point collar.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
#2 is decent. See if you can find a pair of AE Moras in your size. That would be a better answer IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.