Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, If I'm beating a dead horse, I'm really sorry. I've read all ir most of the other formalwear posts, but I have some questions, still. I'm needing to wear a tuxedo to an event on the 28th of this month, and I'm just now in a position to buy one. I'm wondering, what is the best one I can find for a reasonable price? I'll need to acquire all the accoutraments also. I'd like to spend less than a thousand, if possible.
My other questions are, Could I get away with wearing a pair of new AE Byrons, or what is the best formal shoe for the money?
I'm trying to get a peak lapel jacket, with grosgrain, but I'm thinking that I don't want to pay full retail for a JAB($795.).
One last question- Could I wear an Ike Behar white pique dress shirt with french cuffs if it doesn't have a bib front. The fabric is the same they use for their formal shirts. It does have buttons as opposed to stud holes, so i'd be forced to wear a long formal(it this a paradox:eek:) tie to cover the buttons. Okay, maybe the shirt it going too far...maybe I should just buy the right shirt, bow tie and cummerbund or vest and be done with it.:pic12337:
What do you gentlemen think?
Thanks for all your ongoing advice and continued inspiration!

Mark S.

· Registered
1,520 Posts
yes buy the right shirt, bow tie, cummerbund and be done with it as you say. For a cheapo tux really quick you can go to mens wearhouse, JAB has a sale every ten minutes so see if its on sale now. If you have read all ten zillion formalwear posts you know the drill, I would also look online and see what I could get quick shipped and taken to a tailor. If its all too rushed, I hate to say it, but you could rent and then buy when you have the time to research etc. but you should be able to squeak in under the wire time wise. As for the ike behar shirt - you can get a ton of "good enough" formal shirts for a single event that are cheap and that have the correct specs and dont force you to wear a long tie.

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Could I wear an Ike Behar white pique dress shirt with french cuffs if it doesn't have a bib front. The fabric is the same they use for their formal shirts. It does have buttons as opposed to stud holes, so i'd be forced to wear a long formal(it this a paradox:eek:) tie to cover the buttons.
Why not just wear a black bow tie with that shirt? I suspect you will see more than a few men wearing plain front shirts with buttons and a bow tie. If money is tight at the moment I would wear the shirt you have rather than buy a cheap formal shirt that you might not want to wear again.

Could I get away with wearing a pair of new AE Byrons
Many here will say no because of the decorative toe while others will say no because it isn't patent leather. I say that it depends.

Again, if money is tight don't rush out and buy a cheap pair of formal shoes just for this event. If there is one area in which you will see a great deal of variation, it is the shoes that men will wear. Even if the shoes you have are not correct, if you polish them up to a nice shine you will probably still be in the upper echelon of footwear at most events. Many men who wear black tie regularly never own a pair of formal patent leather shoes.

My suggestion is to think about your future needs in this area and spend your money wisely now. Only buy those things that you know that you will be happy with and will be using again. Make do with those items that you already own, even if it isn't 100 percent "correct," and invest in those areas in which you have no choice but to make a new purchase. Then gradually improve your attire over time as money allows.

Cruiser

· Registered
542 Posts
Don't forget the flower

I would make one additional suggestion: Wear a boutonniere, single stem, no "garnish", no pins.

Make sure you get a working buttonhole on the left lapel for a boutonniere. A qualified tailor will know how to add a stem holder on the reverse side of the lapel, a very small cord that keeps the stem in place.

I wore a white mini-carnation to the last two black tie events I attended, and I was the only man wearing a boutonniere. You will stand out in an elegant yet understated way, the essence of style, IMHO.

· Aficianado
1,481 Posts
IF you are on a terribly tight budget (been there once or twice) you can do the shirt,but wear a bow tie (self tie or we WILL find you! :icon_smile_big:).Buttons instead of studs is not a sin,and some members (especially the British ones) may even applaud this move.Just wear a t-shirt (or two if need be) to make sure that your skin pigmentation does not affect the shirt color.I'm actually not familiar with the AE shoe that you mentioned :)o) so I can't offer an opinion,but calfskin is fine (and preferable to some,) as are cap toes when on a tight budget.And whether you get a cummerbunD (there is a d at the end :icon_smile_big:) or waistcoat is purely personal preference,but keep in mind that while the waistcoat is more formal,the cummerbund may be more budget friendly.Good luck!

First, If I'm beating a dead horse, I'm really sorry. I've read all ir most of the other formalwear posts, but I have some questions, still. I'm needing to wear a tuxedo to an event on the 28th of this month, and I'm just now in a position to buy one. I'm wondering, what is the best one I can find for a reasonable price? I'll need to acquire all the accoutraments also. I'd like to spend less than a thousand, if possible.
My other questions are, Could I get away with wearing a pair of new AE Byrons, or what is the best formal shoe for the money?
I'm trying to get a peak lapel jacket, with grosgrain, but I'm thinking that I don't want to pay full retail for a JAB($795.).
One last question- Could I wear an Ike Behar white pique dress shirt with french cuffs if it doesn't have a bib front. The fabric is the same they use for their formal shirts. It does have buttons as opposed to stud holes, so i'd be forced to wear a long formal(it this a paradox:eek:) tie to cover the buttons. Okay, maybe the shirt it going too far...maybe I should just buy the right shirt, bow tie and cummerbun or vest and be done with it.:pic12337:
What do you gentlemen think?
Thanks for all your ongoing advice and continued inspiration!

Mark S.

· Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WDF- You're right, I intended to correct the spelling and add the "d", so it's done now. The "Monk" in me just wouldn't let it go!
Good advice everyone...I think I'm going to call a friend of mine who's a personal clothier, and have him order one for me. He says I can get a Joseph Abboud for about $450.00 in Super 120's fabric. I'll try to get the model that has grosgrain lapels. As for the shoes, I'm going to call the AE shoebank today and see what the best price is on a pair of Copley or Kendals.

Crusier- Excellent advice- I'm thinking I'll buy the bow tie and cummerbunD:icon_smile: now, and buy something nice, maybe BB, and hold off on the shirt, that would allow me to get nicer shoes.

LaoHu- yes, I plan on wearing a boutonniere, a red rose, at the suggestion of my wife, who's the greatest!

Thanks, again!

Mark S.

· Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm needing to wear a tuxedo to an event on the 28th of this month, and I'm just now in a position to buy one. I'm wondering, what is the best one I can find for a reasonable price?...I'm trying to get a peak lapel jacket, with grosgrain, but I'm thinking that I don't want to pay full retail for a JAB($795.).
You definitely don't want to pay full retail for the Banks -- they go on sale all the time. I think you are in a bit of a bind because your event is coming up very soon, but most of the post Christmas sales are over. If full retail in general is out of the question, you might try outlets or ebay, but if you can't get something good in the next week or 10 days, you should seriously consider renting this time and buying at your leisure, when there are better deals. You could go to Brooks Brothers and use the AAAC 15% discount.

I'll need to acquire all the accoutraments also. I'd like to spend less than a thousand, if possible.
You first have to decide which approach to take -- cummerbund or vest. You can find cummerbunds at Banks, Brooks, and other such stores. Vests are a little bit more challenging, as there are some really bad ones out there. The other accessories you will need if you want to do this right are: braces (black or white); a black self-tie bow tie; cufflinks; silk socks (available reasonably priced at Banks); either a formal shirt or the shirt you've already got; and studs if you go with the formal shirt.

You can "get away with" this but it isn't ideal. Either now or in the future you could consider proper formal shoes. There are many brands out there -- Allen Edmonds and Alden make correct patent leather lace-ups, and Brooks sells patent leather and calfskin pumps.

One last question- Could I wear an Ike Behar white pique dress shirt with french cuffs if it doesn't have a bib front. The fabric is the same they use for their formal shirts. It does have buttons as opposed to stud holes, so i'd be forced to wear a long formal(it this a paradox:eek:) tie to cover the buttons. Okay, maybe the shirt it going too far
I agree with Cruiser that this could look nice, and that it would be better with a bow tie.

· Registered
1,258 Posts
I would make one additional suggestion: Wear a boutonniere, single stem, no "garnish", no pins.

Make sure you get a working buttonhole on the left lapel for a boutonniere. A qualified tailor will know how to add a stem holder on the reverse side of the lapel, a very small cord that keeps the stem in place.

I wore a white mini-carnation to the last two black tie events I attended, and I was the only man wearing a boutonniere. You will stand out in an elegant yet understated way, the essence of style, IMHO.
I second the single stemmed flower. If the lapel button hole is closed you can open it yourself with an exacto knife or razor.
If you've ever darned a sock or replaced a button you can add the stem holder yourself. takes only a minute or two. Longer if you have trouble threading the needle.

· Registered
33 Posts
tuxedo

I just got through doing the same thing you are so I subconsciously still "look" for tuxedo stuff.

Sierra trading post has Joseph Abboud tuxedos(notch 2 button) for 345. You couple that with coupon of the day(usually 20% ) off=$277.

Then go to Ebay and pick this up this matching abboud cummerbund set for $55, and some cheap patent shoes and you are set

· Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I just did this for the inauguration, and on a similar if not worse time table than you. I learned a lot about this and hopefully I can do my part to impart what I learned.

First thing first. Go on ebay and do a search for the seller armyhardhat. He specializes in selling brooks brothers clearance items and he currently has golden fleece full dress shirts with detachable collars (warning no collar studs!) and he has BB silk cumberbunds for $25. Get both of those right now before they are gone, I can wait . . .

Ok now that we've got that out of the way we need to deal with your tux. If you go to a Jos A Banks and find the shadiest SA you can and beg him to let you have the signature peak for 425, that's how much they are on sale. If he won't budge well then we've got other options. On ebay there is a seller with a phenomanal reputation by the ID of wizardofaahs, he sells what are essentially the best "bad" suits you can buy and at a really decent price. This includes a "slimmer" cut one button peak for 320. Don't buy this on ebay. Find his internet store by PM'ing him on ebay, I can't remember it off hand. Tell him you heard he gives a "style forum" discount on non ebay transactions, if he has your size you can score this tux for 280 shipped. It's supposedly quite decent. If this doesn't work for you he also has a notch tux that's also decent and usually more of it in stock. Don't dawdle cause you might need to exchange it for another size once you try it on, he's quite famous for his excellent return and exchange policy.

Next, I went to uniformalwearhouse. They have white pique full dress vests in 3 different prices. A poly blend for $30 to a full cotton one for $50. I got the cotton one and its a bit stiff, but, to be honest, the 175 dollar one at brooks I tried on in person wasn't that much better fitting.

You can get studs at a nordstrom rack, joseph abboud for about $25, or you can get them at the aforementioned uniformalwearhouse for anything from 3 to 25 USD but they are going to suck. It's going to come down with what you can live with.

Shoes, well you are on your own. I just spit shined my black captoes (oh the horror!) and it worked for me.

I'm sure there are a ton of places you can score a bowtie, I already had a crappy (self tie though) one from a while back.

I got my braces at nordstrom rack for $25 just cause I feel weird about getting used braces online. But you can get braces on ebay for a song, I got tralfalgars they are ok.

As an aside, I was at a BB outlet recently and they had brooks ease tux seperates, BB stopped making tuxes for this brooks ease line a couple of years ago so it must be old stock, but it's supposedly as good as jos a banks, and they had a single button peak. This was at potomac mills in VA.

One more aside, supposedly there is a magical BB clearance center buried somewhere in North Carolina, it's rumored this is where armyhardhat scores his sweet deals, if you are in NC and can find it, I hear they often have the white and black low stance formal vests for cheap.

· Registered
27 Posts
Ok, I just did this for the inauguration, and on a similar if not worse time table than you. I learned a lot about this and hopefully I can do my part to impart what I learned.

First thing first. Go on ebay and do a search for the seller armyhardhat. He specializes in selling brooks brothers clearance items and he currently has golden fleece full dress shirts with detachable collars (warning no collar studs!) and he has BB silk cumberbunds for $25. Get both of those right now before they are gone, I can wait . . .

Ok now that we've got that out of the way we need to deal with your tux. If you go to a Jos A Banks and find the shadiest SA you can and beg him to let you have the signature peak for 425, that's how much they are on sale. If he won't budge well then we've got other options. On ebay there is a seller with a phenomanal reputation by the ID of wizardofaahs, he sells what are essentially the best "bad" suits you can buy and at a really decent price. This includes a "slimmer" cut one button peak for 320. Don't buy this on ebay. Find his internet store by PM'ing him on ebay, I can't remember it off hand. Tell him you heard he gives a "style forum" discount on non ebay transactions, if he has your size you can score this tux for 280 shipped. It's supposedly quite decent. If this doesn't work for you he also has a notch tux that's also decent and usually more of it in stock. Don't dawdle cause you might need to exchange it for another size once you try it on, he's quite famous for his excellent return and exchange policy.

Next, I went to uniformalwearhouse. They have white pique full dress vests in 3 different prices. A poly blend for $30 to a full cotton one for $50. I got the cotton one and its a bit stiff, but, to be honest, the 175 dollar one at brooks I tried on in person wasn't that much better fitting.

You can get studs at a nordstrom rack, joseph abboud for about $25, or you can get them at the aforementioned uniformalwearhouse for anything from 3 to 25 USD but they are going to suck. It's going to come down with what you can live with.

Shoes, well you are on your own. I just spit shined my black captoes (oh the horror!) and it worked for me.

I'm sure there are a ton of places you can score a bowtie, I already had a crappy (self tie though) one from a while back.

I got my braces at nordstrom rack for $25 just cause I feel weird about getting used braces online. But you can get braces on ebay for a song, I got tralfalgars they are ok.

As an aside, I was at a BB outlet recently and they had brooks ease tux seperates, BB stopped making tuxes for this brooks ease line a couple of years ago so it must be old stock, but it's supposedly as good as jos a banks, and they had a single button peak. This was at potomac mills in VA.

One more aside, supposedly there is a magical BB clearance center buried somewhere in North Carolina, it's rumored this is where armyhardhat scores his sweet deals, if you are in NC and can find it, I hear they often have the white and black low stance formal vests for cheap.
Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.