Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, and would like some recommendations on what suits may be compatible with my body type. I have rather enjoyed reading the very informative threads the last few weeks since I've discovered this forum.

Anyways, I am of a lean athletic build weighing 161#, and 5'11 in height. My budget is between $1000-2000. I would prefer something that is fully canvassed. I have looked at the Ralph Lauren Black label and prefer the modern look. However, there seems to be some inconsistent information as to whether or not it is fully canvassed. The purpose of the suit would be for weddings, and interviews.

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What are your chest and waist measurements? Do you have a preference for American, English, or Italian style?

If this is not going to be for regular wear you might not get much bang for your buck if you go with a modern look. If you're not worried about it we aren't either but it is something to consider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chest 39", waist 32".

to be honest, i'm not very familiar with differences between american vs british vs italian styled suits. i do know that i would like a single breasted, 2 button suit with double vents. thanks, again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you're talking about something like this:

https://www.ralphlauren.com/contentPopup/index.jsp?productId=3160371

The Hickey Freeman "Barrett" model looks like a similar cut and is made to measure in your price range. The Brooks Bros. "Regent" looks looks like the same sort of thing as well.

Personally, I'd think twice about those cuts, especially in a suit that's built to last. I don't think it's flattering on anyone, and I don't expect it's going to have much staying power.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
When getting a 2-button suit, make sure the top button is around your waist and not up at the sternum like so many suits these days. The black label suit jacket buttons at the waist, but the trouser rise is a bit low. Modern suits will look silly in a few years, and they don't look as professional. Black label is better than a lot of other suits I see around.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When getting a 2-button suit, make sure the top button is around your waist and not up at the sternum like so many suits these days. The black label suit jacket buttons at the waist, but the trouser rise is a bit low. Modern suits will look silly in a few years, and they don't look as professional. Black label is better than a lot of other suits I see around.
Good advice. I would also recommend avoiding an extremely tapered leg.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
But, seriously, folks

If you will be wearing your suit to weddings, you might want to trend darker in a navy or charcoal. Those will work for most events of that level of formality, whether they are daytime or run into the evening.

As for style, the peaked lapel single breasted models that I've been seeing in Details and (the late) Men's Vogue, both editorial and ads, look very sharp on a slim, athletic build. Plus, they have the virtue of not looking like everyone else's first suit. Barney's has some Emporio Armanis in this style.

Above all, get the shoulder fit right and ensure that the lapels lie flat with the coat buttoned. Oh, and sit down in it and wear the shoes you will wear and a dress shirt to try it on with. As was pointed out on another thread, you don't have to have the dress shirt to measure the sleeves properly, but I think it will tell you a lot about how the suit will look to have the right shirt collar.

Personally, I like the slim but not tapered legs I'm seeing as well. The sleeve diameters are somewhat more constricted, too, which gives a very "modern" thrust. Larger sleeve diameters on an otherwise slim-fitting coat, such as would fit you best, make the whole look a bit "frumpy" to me when the arms are bent. Remember that you are not going to play lacrosse in it:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all those who posted. Sounds like going "modern" is not the way to go. Perhaps I didn't really understand what that implied. I suppose I was trying to say that I wanted a suit that would pass for professional, and not traditional nor dated.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I completely disagree with most of what was just posted. If you like the style, and you have a slim build, then you should absolutely get a slim suit. You shouldn't worry about the suit looking dated, because everything gets dated at some point. Furthermore, men's fashions change quite slowly. There's no way that slim suits will look dated in a few years. It could be a decade before the pendulum really starts swinging the other way.

As for slim suits not looking professional...ridiculous! The president-elect's suits are quite slim, and politicians are probably the most conservatively dressed group in America. What makes an outfit look fashion forward is color. If you wear a white shirt, with a silk repp tie, and black oxford shoes, you'll look perfectly professional, even in your slim suit.

Probably the best reason for wearing a slim suit is that you wear slim clothes the rest of the time. This means that you'll be comfortable in your suit.

(I should note that I'm talking about suits like Polo, BB Fitzgerald, etc. It goes without saying that we're not talking about the ridiculously slim stuff you see on the runways).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.