Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Trads!

I recently came across a sports coat in a thrift store that fit very well. The shoulders had zero padding and, from what I could tell, were one of the variations of the Neapolitan shoulder as explained in Manton's old post in the other forum.

A long shot, I'm sure, but any ideas on how to determine the maker? Some of the labels had been removed from the jacket, but a Saks 5th Avenue label remained.

There was only moderate waist suppression, and darts, while present, were well concealed in the pattern of the fabric and only visible on very close inspection. In fact, I initially thought it was dartless. The most unfortunate and untradly aspect was the lack of a vent.

Which of you gentlemen have ventured into the world of the natural unpadded Neapolitan shoulder and which makers have you found reasonable from a Trad perspective (i.e. single vent and unexcessive waist suppression).

I did not purchase the coat as there were several holes and stains.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Often the maker can be identified from the tag inside the inner breast pocket. If you had bought it, and could take a pic, we might be able to ID it for you.

I'm only a part-time Trad, but I wear what I like, and incorporate whatever styles I find interesting. The fact that I mix-and-match doesn't diminish the Tradly influence, or my appreciation for Tradly styles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response, DocHolliday.

I don't think there was a label inside the inner breast pocket or any other tags with useful information such as a RN# or other markings. The only label was the one I mentioned from Saks. So I guess I could try to narrow down which Neapolitan soft shoulder makers are or have been sold at Saks.
Although I'm really just looking for jackets that fit the way this one did but with a vent (Neapolitan soft shoulder, not too fitted, and a single vent).
Your stated sartorial approach is sensible (no alliteration intended). I don't dress strictly Trad either but like you have always appreciated the look and incorporated elements of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.