Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NBA season opens today - just saw this picture below of Greg Oden, Lebron James and Kobe Bryant on the ESPN home page of Lebron.

Lebron I think has a reputation for being a bit of a clothes horse and Kobe is looking sharp as well (not sure if the PS is sticking out too far or is he sending out a subliminal message that he is the King and not Lebron :)). Oden's outfit looks like a disaster though....

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
The fact that NBA players and coaches at least TRY to dress well, is a major positive from where I am sitting. They don't always get it right, and often go way over the top with too many buttons, shinny materials, and god awful tie knots that are as big as their heads (and egos)

But frankly, at least they are dressing up....which is more than you can say for many other professional athletes and people in the media spotlight in general.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The fact that NBA players and coaches at least TRY to dress well, is a major positive from where I am sitting. They don't always get it right, and often go way over the top with too many buttons, shinny materials, and god awful tie knots that are as big as their heads (and egos)

But frankly, at least they are dressing up....which is more than you can say for many other professional athletes and people in the media spotlight in general.
But didn't the dress code come down as a directive from the commissioner's office-- that they were required to wear suits to and from games?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, at least they trying. But it's not like they are dressing for a board meeting so we shouldn't be too harsh. It's just to and from their games.
True, although there are some real clothes horses among them. Lebron is definitely one of them and so is Tom Brady in the NFL, I think. The 2 times I have seen him in civvies, he has been really sharp looking.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
But didn't the dress code come down as a directive from the commissioner's office-- that they were required to wear suits to and from games?
Not exactly. The directive from the office pertained to players that are on injured reserve and sitting on the bench. It says if you are on the bench and not in uniform, you must be in a suit.

It has nothing to do with what the players choose to wear to and from games and after games...so 99% of the NBA players that you see dressed up are doing so because they want to...not have to.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
True, although there are some real clothes horses among them. Lebron is definitely one of them and so is Tom Brady in the NFL, I think. The 2 times I have seen him in civvies, he has been really sharp looking.
Speaking of clothes horses.

Dont know if he still does it, but in his heyday here in Boston - Antoine Walker used to have 82 new suits custom made for him every season....one for every game.

He would wear them twice (to the arena and home from the arena) and then donate them to charity, his friends and family etc.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not exactly. The directive from the office pertained to players that are on injured reserve and sitting on the bench. It says if you are on the bench and not in uniform, you must be in a suit.

It has nothing to do with what the players choose to wear to and from games and after games...so 99% of the NBA players that you see dressed up are doing so because they want to...not have to.
You're right here, and I looked it up. However, it does say:
Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business.
"Business Casual" attire means
A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.
and:
The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear at any time while on team or league business:
Sleeveless shirts
Shorts
T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team)
Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team)
Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes
Sunglasses while indoors
Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room)
The reasoning behind this was that the youth of this country take their lead in what's fashionable from actors/actresses and sports figures, and the NBA was trying to promote a more business-like atmosphere and remove the thug culture from the game, which some articles said made it difficult for some fans to identify with the players-- especially important in higher priced arenas like MSG in New York.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You're right here, and I looked it up. However, it does say:
and:
The reasoning behind this was that the youth of this country take their lead in what's fashionable from actors/actresses and sports figures, and the NBA was trying to promote a more business-like atmosphere and remove the thug culture from the game, which some articles said made it difficult for some fans to identify with the players-- especially important in higher priced arenas like MSG in New York.
The reason was less about trying to set an example to youth in the stands, and more to set an example to the players themselves that it is a business - and you need get dressed like you are going to work, not to a BBQ or the Mall.

This was in light of a big fight where several players went into the stands and had a fight with several fans. David Stern told the players to start dressing and acting like professionals - and told the teams to control their employees, or face the consequences.

It has done a lot to clean up the image of the game, but in fairness - the classiest players have been dressing well since the beginning of the NBA.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bear in mind these guys are tall(!). There must be some challenge making realtively tall, thin frames not appear too out of proportion.

That does not explain the affinity for very visible pin-striping on an inordinate amount of their suits.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Its a well known fact that Lebron does MTO suits with Ralph Lauren and shirts with T&A. Wonder when he's gonna' graduate with full bespoke?

At least he's showing some cuff in the above image, also the boutonniere suggest dandy tendencies.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Speaking of clothes horses.

Dont know if he still does it, but in his heyday here in Boston - Antoine Walker used to have 82 new suits custom made for him every season....one for every game.

He would wear them twice (to the arena and home from the arena) and then donate them to charity, his friends and family etc.
any idea who was his preferred custom maker?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Last time I saw Magic Johnson, who of course is long since retired from professional sports, he was wearing what looked like an incredibly beautiful custom-made set of bronze-coloured pajamas. Made for public wear, but the look was about the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.