Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way into work this morning, I saw someone wearing a navy pinstripe suit, white shirt, red patterned tie, with a bright olive vest (waistcoat). I must say that the bright olive vest stood out to me as just looking horrible. I was always under the impression that with a suit, the vest should always match the suit. Am I crazy or right in my opinion that this guy looked horrible?

· Registered
679 Posts
CMM-27, this called wearing an "odd waistcoat"--quite the style in the 1920s and 1930s.

If you care to search, there are numerous threads here on the topic--WDF started one just a few weeks ago.

BTW, there's also the "odd trouser" look--where the suit and waistcoat match, but the trousers are different.

--Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
The vest need not match the suit, but it needs to complement it. The combination you describe does not sound good to me.

Cheers, Jim.
Sometimes gentlemen make a statement with their odd waistcoats, Jim. It's very similar to gentlemen making a statement with their neckties and/or squares.

--Chase

· Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
The olive odd vest sounds like a statement of color blindness.

I know fashion-lovers find the odd vest more "interesting." Sometimes it looks good, but if you are not good at "adding a dash of flair" it is safer to avoid the odd vest.

· Registered
356 Posts
I'm a fan of odd vests, and am actually going to have a few more made that will compliment my suits and add some variety. That being said, that looks like a horrible combination. I think it can be hard to pull this look off, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna screw it up too. If you see me with it wrong just let me know so I know better in the future. Thanks

· Registered
1,065 Posts
I love odd vests, but then, I love everything. :)

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Robert Hardy's Siegfried Farnon on the television series All Creatures Great and Small is a great one for odd vests (not to mention erupting pocket squares). Watching that show carefully ought to be part of any aspirant's basic menswear education.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.