Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So three or four times a year I attend academic conferences. Almost invariably, my name tag comes with a cheap plastic holder that has a large, savage pin in the back which I hate to stick through my suits. The alternative to this is a thin nylon lanyard that places the name tag somewhere in the middle of my chest, over my tie.

So what I want is a name tag holder that has a clip that I can just attached to the pocket of my coat - although I suppose that even this is less than desirable because it would look a bit silly with a pocket square. Does anyone have an elegant, fashionable solution?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I'm looking for a nice, perhaps leather, clip of some sort.

As for "showing" the tag, it is extremely important to have it out at all times: people see you, and say "oh hello, I read your piece about xxxxx" and that's one of the ways we network.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Miss Manners says that nametags should be relatively close to the face, so that people can peek at your name without looking away from your face. The position of the nametag is more of an issue for the ladies, but I digress. I typically have a clip-on nametag that I clip to my suit lapel, right next to the buttonhole; if you don't want it to clash with your pocket square or if you have a boutonniere, I suppose you could put it on the other side. Empty name tag clips can be purchased at any office supply store.

·
Registered
581 Posts
No offense, but man you guys are luddites. They've been making magnetic name tag holders for like 10 years at least. You put one side on the inside your jacket, the front sticks to it through the clothing. No clip, no pin, sticks wherever you put it. You can get a pack of them for like 5 bucks at Office Max.

·
Registered
141 Posts
At many of the conventions I've been to lately the name tag comes with a neckstrap (lanyard?). It is a loop about 30-35 inches long and maybe 3/8 inch wide often woven with a sponsoring institution's name and one clips one's nametag to it. Perfect opportunity for bespoke! Maybe Sam Hober would make one up in your favorite silk?

·
Registered
3 Posts
After damaging a jacket with one of these clip on tags I now make sure I take a file card and clip the badge to the top of the card then insert the card in my breast pocket. Badge displayed, clothing protected. I agree with the post about displaying the badge at all times.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A pet peeve of mine.

Unlike ID cards, which one can argue provide at least some minimal level of security in some business, social or academic environments, "name tags" are absolutely useless.

How did society manage to exist before their invention? How did Plato cope without a tag stating, "Hello, my name is Plato" clipped to his tunic? How did Shakespeare become so famous without a tag clipped to his doublet?

Nametags are essentially a shortcut for the lazy or impolite. When two civilized people meet for the first time in polite company, a verbal exchange of names is de rigueur.

When presented with a nametag I usually take it (often the tags are used to count who attended some function by tallying up the unused tags) but then either pocket it, throw it away or conveniently "lose" it at the earliest possible opportunity.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In addition to names, "labels" (I just thought up and rather like the term) always list your institution. Thus there is no need for formal gowns and hoods.

In response to the fellow who implies that I'm lazy for wanting to read people's name tags, at the large, yearly conference in my discipline around eight hundred people attend. I'm fairly well connected, and know about one hundred of these. While I'm naturally somewhat talkative, I don't feel like introducing myself to seven hundred people - but I suppose I'd only have to do this once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.