Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I bought what I thought at the time was a tie bar at Macy's, but realized when I got home and un-boxed it that it is something else. My question is what on earth that something else actually is?

The best I could come up with is either a double-sided money-clip, or some sort of makeshift clip-on collar pin. I will be returning said item, since it isn't the tie bar I wanted, but I'm curious as to its purpose.

What do you think? It's about 2.5" long, made by Geoffrey Beene, and was in the display with actual tie bars.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
It is a tie bar.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It is a tie bar.
I'd really be interested in an explanation of just how this might work as a tie bar, since it is closed in the middle. Are you suggesting that half of it just stick out? Or that its purpose is to hold the blade and the tongue of the tie apart so as create a permanent slightly windblown look? I realize that this would fit in well with today's style of spending hours trying to look as though you just fell out of bed. Just kidding, Alex! I, however, do disagree that it's a tie bar. It is most definitely a collar-clip, AKA collar-slide, used much as collar pins are used but without punching holes in the fabric of a shirt not designed for pins. A usage note: they work but do not look very good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, folks! As I suspected then.

Definitely seems like a solution in search of a problem. Surely any semi-competent tailor could add collar pin eyelets for next to nothing if that's the look one is going for. I can't see how this contraption would reliably stay in place, either.

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts
I'd really be interested in an explanation of just how this might work as a tie bar, since it is closed in the middle. Are you suggesting that half of it just stick out? Or that its purpose is to hold the blade and the tongue of the tie apart so as create a permanent slightly windblown look? I realize that this would fit in well with today's style of spending hours trying to look as though you just fell out of bed. Just kidding, Alex! I, however, do disagree that it's a tie bar. It is most definitely a collar-clip, AKA collar-slide, used much as collar pins are used but without punching holes in the fabric of a shirt not designed for pins. A usage note: they work but do not look very good.

Thanks, folks! As I suspected then.

Definitely seems like a solution in search of a problem. Surely any semi-competent tailor could add collar pin eyelets for next to nothing if that's the look one is going for. I can't see how this contraption would reliably stay in place, either.
Sorry if my terminology confused. These are called collar bars and tie bars.

They need be the correct size for the spread of your collar or, as you both note, they won't work very well. The collar needs to have relatively close points for a bar which is 2.5" long and the bar need to be worn high up.

The bar Adam showed is not a particularly good one made of cheap metal. In all probability it will come unclipped in short order. I, too, would return it. RIP's is better.

There are some excellent ones available although they are usually made from rather rigid alloys of gold. I'll try to take a shot of one. The downside of these (or upside depending on whether you wear it always) is that they will leave dents in the collar. If you always wear it, then you just place it where the permanent dents are.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the illumination, folks! It's clearly crap - it practically broke while we were fussing with it to figure out what it was. I'm fine w/$15 @ Macy's for a steel tie clip, not so much for this lame attempt at an item that's dubious to begin with.... I'm not a fan of their stuff either for the most part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.