Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...in Marshall Field's on State St. here in Chicago (sorry, couldn't fit it all in the subject line!)

A friend of mine picked up a very nice suit from their shop here in Chicago, so I thought I'd swing by and check out the collection.

I was pleasantly surprised. The salesman, Jason Michael, was extremely polite and very knowledgeable in terms of menswear and proper fit. I focused in on a navy suit with a white chalkstripe. It cost around $900. For that price, you get a fully canvassed coat, a good bit of handiwork on the lapel, and sleeve buttons that undo all the way to the top. Not bad at all for the price.

I found the trousers a bit skimpy, though they had a nice cut that would befit someone with a little less pudge than me. Being that the trousers of the 38 coat were too small, I inquired as to their custom service. He explained the process: one half-hour meeting with Jason's associate where measurements are taken and swatches are shown. The swatches I saw were great--lots of browns and creams that the Italians make good use of and that would make a nice suit indeed. Like any custom service, the fit and style of coat (SB/DB, pocket shape/location, etc.) as well as trouser are pretty expansive. A custom get-up runs from about $1100 to $1800 (I think); again, not bad for what seemed to be pretty high quality suiting.

I would recommend that if you live in Chicago or nearby, check out the Alexandre shop inside Field's. It's a neat collection and you'll be helped by someone who truly knows what in the hell he's talking about.

p.s. Full disclosure: I'm a lawyer with absolutely no affiliation to Alexandre.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.