Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a beautiful black cotton fabric with black embroided stripes, I mean that the stripes are not obtained from a different color, but they are part of the texture of the fabric. Apologies I can't provide a picture because of a faulty camera.
I am planning to make a shirt from that. Given the colour, it's a shirt that I would wear on a elegant evening, at a dinner or in a posh club.
My question to you is: should I have it made to be worn with cufflinks or buttons.
It would be the first shirt with cufflinks so I don't know how they would look and feel in general and for this particular shirt, would they be too formal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah thats a great idea for the convertible cuffs. I just had a hard time finding convertible cuffs where cufflinks would fit well on them. I have a couple that I purchased from some Asian guy that comes to Montreal every year that work wonders:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
yeah thats a great idea for the convertible cuffs. I just had a hard time finding convertible cuffs where cufflinks would fit well on them. I have a couple that I purchased from some Asian guy that comes to Montreal every year that work wonders:)
The only RTW shirts that I've ever found that have convertible cuffs is Eton (hard to find in Canada, and even harder to find on sale), but most MTM makers seem to offer it as an option.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I bought a beautiful black cotton fabric with black embroided stripes, I mean that the stripes are not obtained from a different color, but they are part of the texture of the fabric. Apologies I can't provide a picture because of a faulty camera.
I am planning to make a shirt from that. Given the colour, it's a shirt that I would wear on a elegant evening, at a dinner or in a posh club.
My question to you is: should I have it made to be worn with cufflinks or buttons.
It would be the first shirt with cufflinks so I don't know how they would look and feel in general and for this particular shirt, would they be too formal?
I have a Dolce & Gabbana shirt in a similar fabric that has single cuffs. I wear it with round silver cufflinks about the size of a nickel and I think it looks very nice.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I am always a double cuff man usually but had a shirt made recently for when I was away in Panama and I went for what the shirtmaker Barrington Ayre called 'fashion cuffs'. Very different from what I normally go for but they worked a treat with the shirt and were great in the hot climate, both open & closed

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am always a double cuff man usually but had a shirt made recently for when I was away in Panama and I went for what the shirtmaker Barrington Ayre called 'fashion cuffs'. Very different from what I normally go for but they worked a treat with the shirt and were great in the hot climate, both open & closed
Known of course as a Portofino or in some circles 'James Bond' cuff.

Also worn by Roger Moore in some later episodes of The Saint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.