Men's Clothing Forums banner

My First Suit / Interview Help!

5052 Views 17 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Chris Haskell
Hi Everyone!

I have a really important interview coming up at a bank, so i bought myself my first suit! I picked up a navy blue Canali with white pinstripres (it was on sale for 700), a very banking looking suit, but now i have to figure out what to wear with it. I also bought a white Canali dress shirt and orange tie (since i have a bit of an orangey skin tone) which i was planning on wearing too. However, im not sure what type of shoes to wear with it. I have burgundy color loafers which are darker than my suit, so should i go with that? I also really like those pointy italian shoes, but maybe that would be a bit too flashy?

Thanks in advance!
1 - 3 of 18 Posts
Hi Everyone!...pinstripres...orange tie...burgundy color loafers...pointy italian shoes...
I generally recommend the conventional wisdom for interviews:

What you describe is rather divergent and I do not recommend it.
Dandy:

Welcome!

Wear lace up shoes with your suit and a burgundy tie might be better. The white shirt and suit sound fine.

And THANK YOU Orsini! I was just about to recommend that article on Job Interviews, linked from the Home Page, myself!!! :icon_smile_big:

What to Wear and When

Television

My pleasure. Always glad to be of assistance.

Your article is one good source of plain-vanilla, current conventional wisdom regarding interviews. I almost always refer to it.

After that go-round with the guy who wanted to wear a bow tie and no socks, other than to refer to your article, I pretty much dropped out of the "what to wear to the interview" threads.

I just do not understand why people choose to worsen their chances by deviating from this.
...every other applicant usually wears a charcoal or black suit with a black tie...
I would not recommend a black suit and/or black tie for an interview, unless for one of the glamour industries.
1 - 3 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.