Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this hat several months ago in an antique store while on a trip to San Antonio. It's a Churchill Ltd from Neiman Marcus. I'm not sure the year, but it's obviously old since the paper is so brittle and aged. Anyway I have a few questions: 1. Anyone have any information on Churchill Ltd? 2. What style hat is this, I'm thinking fedora?

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
^in regard to your question 1-I am familiar with the Churchill LTD; however, try this question on the gentlemen on the fedora lounge. It has a fedora shape but the hat material looks like it is straw and not felt. In New Orleans, your hat could be worm all year long. What is the hat size? Congratulations on your acquisition of your hat

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^in regard to your question 1-I am familiar with the Churchill LTD; however, try this question on the gentlemen on the fedora lounge. It has a fedora shape but the hat material looks like it is straw and not felt. In New Orleans, your hat could be worm all year long. What is the hat size? Congratulations on your acquisition of your hat
I'll see what I can find out from the fedora lounge. It is a straw and so it works well here in the New Orleans climate. I'm thinking that because it is a dark straw that I can wear it in a more formal fashion as compared to a natural colored straw. Your thoughts?

It's a 7 5/8, which I was surprised to find such large size in an older hat.

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
Nice hat. I have a Churchill from Neiman Marcus, albeit a felt in the Open Road style. They made some very nice hats. I would guess that to be some sort of Milan straw from the 1960s. Is there an original price on the paper under the sweatband? You ought to put some leather conditioner on the sweat, btw.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Congratulations! Very nice hat!

I just got my homburg in the mail today. The one friend who's seen it says it's too small, but I think it's just that it's currently blocked for someone with a less ovoid head than I have.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Churchill was a brand name Dobbs/Resistol used create the illusion of exclusivity for some stores that required the illusion to justify extra mark-up. For instance, in Chicago Baskin was the middle-of-the-road, moderate price store owned by Hart Shaffner & Marx. Capper & Capper was the Graham & Gunn store, also owned by HSM. Baskins carried Dobbs hats; Capper carried the same hats with the Churchill label. Similarly, G&G was the label Hickey-Freeman used to "protect" its H-F customers who were wary of competing with Hickey's owner.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I could be mistaken about this but I think the suit line Hickey Freeman used to "protect" some retailers was Walter Morton, not Graham and Gunn.
Now that you mention it, I think you are right. Graham & Gunn was one of the stores (possibly in Detroit) in the same group as Capper in Chicago. The group was referred to as the Graham & Gunn stores. Walter Morton was the label used to disguise Hickey clothing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.