Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

In this post, I discussed the commissioning of my first custom suit, using Paul Chang in Chicago.

Well, now I can report back from my first fitting! Just to recap, I selected a Dormeuil fabric from their Amadeus line. It is a navy with subdued white chalk (pin?) stripes.

I love the fabric. I think it looks luxurious and sophisticated without being too bold. (Feel free to disagree).

This first picture is of the pants. Unfortunately, it is hard to really see the fabric well in this photo.

This next picture is of my fun custom lining, which I love. It also provides a close-up of the fabric.

In this next picture, you can see the full suit (minus an arm). You can also see Paul's distress at the size of my arm. He didn't take my warning seriously enough that my biceps/triceps are very large. Over the next week, he is recutting the arm and changing the arm holes to better accommodate them.

Here is just a random picture.

Here is a final picture. Paul is going to bring in the waist more. Change the arms and arm holes, as mentioned, in addition to many other minor things.

Aside from the arm issue (which is being remedied), I love the suit already. One big trouble spot for me in MTM suits is how the suit lays around my neck and over my chest. For both of these trouble spots, this suit already fits better than my BB MTM suits, and Chan isn't even close to done fitting the suit to the body. (note: the picture above shows the suit pulling away from my neck. That occured in this photo because of some movements I was doing. When I put the suit on without crazy movements, the suit lays very well around my neck).

I am very excited, and can't wait for my next fitting in 7-10 days.

p.s. I didn't even notice the pocket square that he made out of the lining fabric. My g/f pointed it out. I assume I get to keep it, but I didn't notice it at the time.

· Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for sharing this with us. IMHO the suit looks very nice, nice enough in fact to make me consider trying Mr. Chang. As I have a build that looks similar to yours, I hope you'll post images of the final product.

· Registered
913 Posts
Wow, cute face! ;) ...just kidding! I look forward to seeing the finished product...also, nice choice on the fabric...Amadeus is a great line!

While it is never fair to comment on fit until the garment is finished, I hope you are planning on shortening those sleeves!

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, cute face! ;) ...just kidding! I look forward to seeing the finished product...also, nice choice on the fabric...Amadeus is a great line!

While it is never fair to comment on fit until the garment is finished, I hope you are planning on shortening those sleeves!
Oh yes, he chalked the sleeves (or whatever it is called).

· Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. How much including the fabirc to make that suit may I ask? Not happy with MTM from BB. Poor measuring and not enough knowledge on the part of the sales staff results in poor fitting suits.
I guess it doesn't matter to state the price. The price is $1900 for fabric and labor.

My BB suits are fine, much better than altered OTR clothing. That said, a custom suit provides a fit that MTM just can't provide--especially for unusual dimensions.

640 Posts
That's looking good. Can't wait to see photos of your suit when finished. I'd really like to see it in person some time if you're in the Loop; I'm considering bespeaking a suit to Paul and Jerry for my next suit. They've altered a lot of RTW garments for me, next I'd like one fo their suits

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter to state the price. The price is $1900 for fabric and labor.

My BB suits are fine, much better than altered OTR clothing. That said, a custom suit provides a fit that MTM just can't provide--especially for unusual dimensions.
Not a bad price at all for a bespoke suit including good fabric. I paid BB $2000 plus tax for a barberis fabric in 9.5 oz. solid navy. MTM Golden Fleece. I am not totally happy with the fit after several adjustments and the fabric is not great.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Yes! The lining is "dope". I love crazy lining and feel it is one of the pleasures of custom ordered suits (MTM or bespoke). I echo all comments above and add that you may consider less break in the trousers.

Good work. How many fittings does he provide?

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I don't know if you are going with a cuff on that suit. I assume you are. If so, don't do less than 1.75" you could go as much as 2". I think it will look great and don't have too much break, it will look sloppy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.