Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps,

I was wondering if there is any solution for my problem: my nice Hackett cuff links are starting to bolt (that's the best way I can describe it), and I was wondering if I can polish them, or do anything to save them?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Hi chaps,

I was wondering if there is any solution for my problem: my nice Hackett cuff links are starting to bolt (that's the best way I can describe it), and I was wondering if I can polish them, or do anything to save them?

Thanks,
Erik
"My cufflinks are rusting" Here, we call it patina. :icon_smile_big:

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with your term "starting to bolt." If you mean they're actually rusting, it sounds as if they were plated over a ferrous metal, and the plating is wearing off, or some sort of oxidation is occurring between the plating and ferrous metal. If that's the case, I don't know of anything to be done about it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You might try something like WD40, on a cloth and not sprayed, to clean them. It will penetrate into the corroding areas, if that's the problem, and slow that down. Once corrosion has started, though, it is my understanding that it is nigh unto impossible to stop.

After using the cleaning agent (there are probably others), get rid of as much as you can, and then use a dry polishing cloth to bring the finish back to life. Since it is pretty clear that you have a base metal coated with a finish, you don't want to be too rigorous in polishing, as the finish coat is probably very thin. That's one reason you are having the problem, I suspect.

Unless these links have some sentimental value way beyond the actual, maybe it's just time to "retire" them and look for replacements in the "wonderful world of cufflinks" out there. That can be an endlessly fascinating quest, with the emphasis on "endless":icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Thanks for the advise chaps. But as for the future, is there any way I can protect my cuff links so this doesn't happen again?

Erik
Hmmm. That's a good question. This starts out as a quality issue, I guess. You might begin by avoiding any brand with which you have had a bad experience. If you are considering something with which you have not had any experience, you could do what others have done: Start a thread, after searching the topic first, asking whether any AAAC contributors have had. No guarantee, but at least you might be steered away from a loser.

There are solid metal links - sterling, stainless, titanium, 10K or better gold - which should never create that problem for you. Of course, they are going to be pricier than most anything made of a base metal covered in whatever finishing metal.

Treating new links with WD 40 or whatever, usually petroleum-based, product may prevent corrosion, but it has drawbacks. You have to make sure that there is no residue on the surface that might sully the fabrics with which they may come into contact. Avoiding environmental corrosion promoters, like salt, in the air at the coast or directly applied, or plain water that could start rust in ferrous metals, would help, of course. But high quality trumps all of this, basically.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.