Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...by about a 1/4 inch or so I guess.

Its definently noticeable (to me) if I stand infront of a mirror with arms straight down.

Should I have my shirts altered, or my suits? Right now I have some suits with one sleeve longer than the other. When I wear a different suit, I am either conscious about pulling one cuff down longer, or I wear a french cuff shirt which has an adjustable cuff length, and I wear one side of the shirt longer than the other.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should have both altered.....you really cant lengten your shirt sleeves (depending on the maker).....
Most of my clients have odd aems so dont worry your not a freak.....

Alter the suit and shirt....

Clint

I make suits and shirts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I have the same problem and was in between standard sizes in addition so off the rack shirts always looked bad.

Your suit cuffs should be the right length already if they were finished by an alterations tailor when you bought them.

But I suggest that you migrate to MTM shirts.

I began ordering MTM shirts while still a teenager. The prices are not significantly different from off the rack and can be even less if you're careful.

There are many threads about shirtmakers in the archives.

------------------------
Fortuna elegantes adiuvit.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My right arm has lengthened by about 1/2 inch since I took up regular fencing some five years ago. This difference is now quite noticeable (more shirt cuff showing on right arm), and so I've had some jacket sleeves altered accordingly. The shirt cuffs seem to tolerate 1/2 inch either way, but the jacket sleeves looked odd. Do any other forumites practising asymmetric sports find one arm has lengthened (playing tennis for instance)?

·
Banned
291 Posts
This is very common . . . that's why stars of old, in Hollywood, insisted on custom made clothes, onscreen. 'Flaws' like that, were disguised, rather than emphasized, which ready to wear, can do. You may have to go with custom shirts . . . your sport coats / suit jackets, and coats can be handled, at purchase.

·
Registered
179 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Rich

My right arm has lengthened by about 1/2 inch since I took up regular fencing some five years ago. This difference is now quite noticeable (more shirt cuff showing on right arm), and so I've had some jacket sleeves altered accordingly. The shirt cuffs seem to tolerate 1/2 inch either way, but the jacket sleeves looked odd. Do any other forumites practising asymmetric sports find one arm has lengthened (playing tennis for instance)?
This has happened with me and tennis. There was about a 3/8" difference, with the left arm being longer (less muscles on the shoulder, I suppose). Over the summer, I actually readjusted all the shirts I have to account for this. However, I sadly also noticed that now that I have stopped playing tennis for about 8 months (or any other exercise, for that matter), the discrepancy has almost completely disappeared. Now the right arm is longer than the left. Very annoying.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Earthmover

quote:Originally posted by Rich

This has happened with me and tennis. There was about a 3/8" difference, with the left arm being longer (less muscles on the shoulder, I suppose). Over the summer, I actually readjusted all the shirts I have to account for this. However, I sadly also noticed that now that I have stopped playing tennis for about 8 months (or any other exercise, for that matter), the discrepancy has almost completely disappeared. Now the right arm is longer than the left. Very annoying.
stop this tennis nonsense.

Alex Di Pietropaolo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.