Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story:

I have been wearing 13D Cole Haans. I think perhaps I am between an E and D width...have finally used the Brannock and it appears I am more an E.

Well, I had purchased a 13D AE PA and McClain on the Sale....and indeed they were too narrow and were sent back. The other thing was the were very LONG! Much longer than my Cole Haans....really like a clown shoe!!

I then found the one store around that carried AE....and tried a 12.5 EEE PA (they didn't have 13E). The width was too much (which reassured me on the need for "E"), but the length seemed much better.

Last, I purchased the Hale on Amazon closeout.....it just arrived in 13E. And, YES, the E width seems right for me......but DARN if the 13 is not a bit too long!!!

Is this a common finding?? I am a solid 13...wear a 14 running shoe in fact, so maybe a bit over a 13. But these AE's are overly long!

Would those here agree that a 12.5 E in at least the PA, McClain and Hale seems like the right size for me?

Thank you.
H

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
H, I cannot wear Cole Haans. I wear a 9.5 D in AEs but could never find a satisfactory size in Cole Haan. I think you are porbably experiencing the opposite. The good news is AE has many lasts.

Check here.

This will help.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yes, I agree.
I just spoke w/ a lady @ the AE Factory Store....she actually said I might be a 12(!!) in a Park Avenue??? Really??.............
That's funny - I've suspected that my Park Avenues were a hair too long, too, and I bought them on the smaller end of the size spectrum for me. Whereas I usually take an 8.5D or E, I bought the PAs in an 8E. I haven't taken a 7.5 since grade school, but there's a decent amount of room in the toe. Then again, I also have worn them all of twice, so it is feasible that the leather has not fully shaped around my foot.

·
Registered
683 Posts
It's on the "0" last. Just go to the AE site and select dress shoes, and then filter by last. The o last will bring up 6 styles of shoes made on that last. BTW, does anybody know how that last fits compared to the others?

Mark S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Learned something from the AE folks:

Depending on which way you go in sizing, you need to adjust the width. For instance if you go from 12.5 EE to a 12 you would need 12 EEE!! I had no clue that you changed the width accordingly!!

H

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Park Avenue is a long shoe and as you go down in size you do typically have to go up in width. I have a pair of PAs in 8D and I have considerable room in the toe box between my big toe and the end of the shoe. However, because the shoe wraps around my foot so precisely the extra length isn't really a problem for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.