Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By now, you have probably heard that the no-nonsense look is in. Why? Because of the recession. At least this is what the media reports. It is said men are dressing up because they want to look serious, like they belong in whatever business they're in. Well, Obama certainly isn't, but that's another story. Interestingly, women seem to not be affected by this "recession" trend. I find this strange, particularly, because in a time when man and woman are equal, only man is expected to up the ante. Women now have no excuse to hide behind. Shouldn't they too be more dressed up? The whole "men dressed up during the recession 70 years ago, so men today should do the same" is taken out of context because at the time, women were widely seen as less equal, so not as much (business-wise) was expected out of them. If the way of dress from the Great Depression is to have any relevance today, women, too, must dress up in the workplace.

The problem with this trend is that those who are catching onto it are merely understanding the overtones of being well dressed, not the undertones: the essentials that actually make one well dressed. Furthermore, I believe those catching onto this trend don't actually have the interest to go any deeper than what Maxim or TV Guide's Fashion Team have to say about "the look." They (the trend followers) are unwilling to learn from the ground up (instead, they will scramble to copy exactly whatever pictures are being fed to them in magazines and on TV). This doesn't mean that one has to start with cheapo suits and shoes, but it means one should know what goes with what and why. I'm sure most guys who are in suits because of the recession neither know what goes with what, nor why. You know what they say, give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for life. What I think is happening is the trend hungry masses are being given fish. They are not being taught how to dress well.

What do you think of the new "look?" Good? Bad? Should we not care? Why?

·
Premium Member
6,490 Posts
Where is this new look of which you speak? Is it something you've read/heard about, or something you've actually witnessed? It sounds like a Good Morning America segment (right after Six Tips To Save At The Grocery Store).

I doubt if this is happening, but your post is all over the place. Are you complaining because women don't understand the folly of not dressing up or that men who newly do are doing it on the cheap? Or are you just plain complaining?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I am saying many women are aware of the importance of dressing up. They, however, don't dress up because they can get away with not dressing up, and they know they can get away with it. That doesn't necessarily mean they know how to dress well. I think men can't get away with it, and, to top it off, many men don't know how to dress well either. Women, I think, shouldn't be allowed to get away with it because in today's society, men and women are considered equal.

And thank you for the Good Morning America comparison. I was going for a light-hearted, feel-good approach. Sorta like something you'd read in Sunday's American Profile?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.