Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
The man certainly dresses well. The button down collar, with the perfect collar roll/the BB pinstriped navy suit/etc. suggests a bit of sartorial fussiness, with a notable drift toward Trad, but the claim of suggesting a moral outlook, as suggested in the article, is pure fantasy on the part of some writer's overly fevered imagination. Alas, I can see where this could easily end up in the Interchange if we are not careful.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
There's nothing particularly unusual, different or interesting with respect to how he dresses. One could easily throw a stone and watch it bounce off of any number of people in DC dressed that way.

And I agree with Eagle; to ascribe some element of moral character based on his choice of suits and shirts is a bit of a stretch.

·
4,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does contrast nicely to the other person mentioned, though. Who obviously dresses like a cad. You’re not critiquing his clothes based on his politics?
I thought his relatively strict dressing and use of white bd shirts and foulard and other small print ties sets him apart from the usual blue bd. It seems die workwear agrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Does contrast nicely to the other person mentioned, though. Who obviously dresses like a cad. You're not critiquing his clothes based on his politics?
I thought his relatively strict dressing and use of white bd shirts and foulard and other small print ties sets him apart from the usual blue bd. It seems die workwear agrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm not critiquing his clothes in any way at all. He looks good. I'm merely stating that there is nothing particularly different about how he dresses apart from most others in DC.

I'm quite capable, unlike some others, to set apart critique of one's clothing from one's politics. Unlike, it seems, the author of the article.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
This should probably be in the Trad forum. For me, kind of a typical DC prepster look. He pulls it off well, he is fit and the suits look fine since they are well fitted to his relatively svelt frame (5' 11" and 165 pounds is damn good for a 70 year old plus). I commend him for his military service and his continued commitment to physical fitness.

However, regarding his overall dress I am not overly impressed. When I was in my late 20s I went through a white shirt button down phase (having eschewed it as a younger man as being too preppy) but I grew out of it. It is easy. You don't have to worry about stays in your collar and as long as the buttons don't break on the collar it looks ok. But it is a bit lazy and in my opinion gets confused as being style when in fact it is more imitation of a standard ivy league form of dress. I don't find anything particularly stylish about it at all. It's more like a military uniform - something that looks decent but utterly lacks in creativity and is devoid of personal touch. Indeed, as the articles point out, when his subordinates put on anything to the contrary he called them out and asked them what they were wearing. Kind of the same way my child gets called out if he wears a striped shirt to school. Because that's what prepsters do! Plus, I personally can't stand a button-down shirt with a suit and tie unless it is a very casual suit. Formal dark blue suits deserve a more formal shirt. It looks better. Having said all that, I will admit the guy looks great compared to most people his age and still dresses quite nicely. A nice pointed collar or modest spread would look great too - perhaps in blue. But that would take a bit more creativity and a bit more style.

Ok, rant over...

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts
This should probably be in the Trad forum. For me, kind of a typical DC prepster look. He pulls it off well, he is fit and the suits look fine since they are well fitted to his relatively svelt frame (5' 11" and 165 pounds is damn good for a 70 year old plus). I commend him for his military service and his continued commitment to physical fitness.

However, regarding his overall dress I am not overly impressed. When I was in my late 20s I went through a white shirt button down phase (having eschewed it as a younger man as being too preppy) but I grew out of it. It is easy. You don't have to worry about stays in your collar and as long as the buttons don't break on the collar it looks ok. But it is a bit lazy and in my opinion gets confused as being style when in fact it is more imitation of a standard ivy league form of dress. I don't find anything particularly stylish about it at all. It's more like a military uniform - something that looks decent but utterly lacks in creativity and is devoid of personal touch. Indeed, as the articles point out, when his subordinates put on anything to the contrary he called them out and asked them what they were wearing. Kind of the same way my child gets called out if he wears a striped shirt to school. Because that's what prepsters do! Plus, I personally can't stand a button-down shirt with a suit and tie unless it is a very casual suit. Formal dark blue suits deserve a more formal shirt. It looks better. Having said all that, I will admit the guy looks great compared to most people his age and still dresses quite nicely. A nice pointed collar or modest spread would look great too - perhaps in blue. But that would take a bit more creativity and a bit more style.

Ok, rant over...
A point/spread collar in blue definitely would not require more creativity whatsoever, that is one of the most basic options in most men's wardrobes.

·
Registered
532 Posts
An excellent example of classic style, executed well. A little bland for my tastes, but that's rather the point. (I would argue that much of DC dresses much, much worse - even at higher echelons of power or wealth.)

As for the moral character argument, I'm inclined to agree with SG and Eagle - the author overreaches. Mueller may have impeccable moral fiber, but it's not provable by his suits.

What I think the author was (or should have been) driving at is that Mueller is very careful to dress in a manner that implies austerity, moral rectitude, and impartiality - whether it's true or not, it's a message he's trying to convey.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
It's worth noting that a significant aspect of his "looking good" (I imagine he would shudder at the idea of being a "fashion icon") is simply that he's taken care of himself: a clean, classic haircut, trim physique, and so on. Square-jawed countenance doesn't hurt, either.

I know it's incorrect to say in this era of "body positivity" and "don't hate!", but 95% of the "sloppiness" in modern men's dress would be dispelled with a fitness routine!

DH

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Jersey Boys! Republicans like they oughta' be! Traditional before there was Trad. Placing principles ahead of politics.

"Mueller grew up in Princeton, New Jersey where he attended Princeton Country Day School, now known as Princeton Day School. After he completed his 8th grade year, his family moved to Philadelphia while he went on to attend St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire, where he was captain of the soccer, hockey, and lacrosse teams, and won the Gordon Medal as the school's top athlete in 1962.[11][12]

He went on to study at Princeton University, receiving an A.B. in politics with a senior thesis on jurisdiction in the South West Africa cases in 1966.[13] Mueller continued to play lacrosse at Princeton, and has cited his teammate David Spencer Hackett's death in the Vietnam War as an influence on his decision to pursue military service.[14] Of his classmate, Mueller has said, "One of the reasons I went into the Marine Corps was because we lost a very good friend, a Marine in Vietnam, who was a year ahead of me at Princeton. There were a number of us who felt we should follow his example and at least go into the service. And it flows from there."[15] Hackett was a Marine Corps first lieutenant in the infantry and was killed in 1967 in Quảng Trị Province, by small arms fire.[16] Mueller earned an M.A. in international relations from New York University in 1967 before pursuing his Juris Doctor degree. In 1973, after a period of military service, he graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he served on the Virginia Law Review."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mueller

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Jersey Boys! Republicans like they oughta' be! Traditional before there was Trad. Placing principles ahead of politics.

"Mueller grew up in Princeton, New Jersey where he attended Princeton Country Day School, now known as Princeton Day School. After he completed his 8th grade year, his family moved to Philadelphia while he went on to attend St. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire, where he was captain of the soccer, hockey, and lacrosse teams, and won the Gordon Medal as the school's top athlete in 1962.[11][12]

He went on to study at Princeton University, receiving an A.B. in politics with a senior thesis on jurisdiction in the South West Africa cases in 1966.[13] Mueller continued to play lacrosse at Princeton, and has cited his teammate David Spencer Hackett's death in the Vietnam War as an influence on his decision to pursue military service.[14] Of his classmate, Mueller has said, "One of the reasons I went into the Marine Corps was because we lost a very good friend, a Marine in Vietnam, who was a year ahead of me at Princeton. There were a number of us who felt we should follow his example and at least go into the service. And it flows from there."[15] Hackett was a Marine Corps first lieutenant in the infantry and was killed in 1967 in Quảng Trị Province, by small arms fire.[16] Mueller earned an M.A. in international relations from New York University in 1967 before pursuing his Juris Doctor degree. In 1973, after a period of military service, he graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he served on the Virginia Law Review."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Mueller
Double dose of trad - Princeton and UVa.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.