Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I purchased a MTM H. Freeman suit from a well regarded NYC men's shop that is regularly recommended on this forum. This was my first experience with this shop and the MTM process and I am generally satisfied. There is one issue with the jacket that is still eating at me and I am submitting my problem to the forum to solicit feedback about what, if anything, can be done. There is a slight raised area, I might call it a "bump", in the fabric in one spot along the seams of both shoulders. They are not terribly pronounced but I can point them out and people agree that they can see them. I brought it back to the shop and they agreed that it should be corrected but when I went back to pick it up the "bumps" were still noticable. They told me they did the best they could and that they are most likely caused by my "forward pitched clavicle" but that a future jacket could be constructed to account for this. None of my OTR jackets have this problem so I guess it's appearing since this jacket is better fitted to me? Does anyone think the clavicle reason holds water? Do I have any recourse with this jacket?

Again, I emphasize that this is not a glaring problem which prevents me from wearing it but enough of an imperfection to bother me and my critical eye. Last week I did go back to order a MTM H. Freeman sportscoat and the shoulder measurements were adjusted in an attempt to rectify the issue from the outset. Hopefully this is the solution because I really do want to continue to do business with them.

Thanks for reading and offering your input.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
About a month ago I purchased a MTM H. Freeman suit from a well regarded NYC men's shop that is regularly recommended on this forum. This was my first experience with this shop and the MTM process and I am generally satisfied. There is one issue with the jacket that is still eating at me and I am submitting my problem to the forum to solicit feedback about what, if anything, can be done. There is a slight raised area, I might call it a "bump", in the fabric in one spot along the seams of both shoulders. They are not terribly pronounced but I can point them out and people agree that they can see them. I brought it back to the shop and they agreed that it should be corrected but when I went back to pick it up the "bumps" were still noticable. They told me they did the best they could and that they are most likely caused by my "forward pitched clavicle" but that a future jacket could be constructed to account for this. None of my OTR jackets have this problem so I guess it's appearing since this jacket is better fitted to me? Does anyone think the clavicle reason holds water? Do I have any recourse with this jacket?

Again, I emphasize that this is not a glaring problem which prevents me from wearing it but enough of an imperfection to bother me and my critical eye. Last week I did go back to order a MTM H. Freeman sportscoat and the shoulder measurements were adjusted in an attempt to rectify the issue from the outset. Hopefully this is the solution because I really do want to continue to do business with them.

Thanks for reading and offering your input.
yes there is a condition tailors call fore ward shoulder points.
it is allowed for in custom or m2m. if the person measuring catches it. in custom it can also be taken care of during fittings.
in rtw it can be done with a major alteration tailors call shifting the shoulders. in this the sleeves and the collar are removed. the shoulder seams are opened and the front shoulder is moved outward and rejoined to the back. the excess at the front of the armhole is then cut off. the sleeves are rehung in the armholes and the collar is sewn back in place. the whole thing depends on there being enough cloth available under the collar at the front gorge. this can also be done on a finished custom or m2m garment.
i dont know if this is truly the problem, but if it is this suit can be fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I finally got a chance to have my wife take some pictures so I could illustrate what I'm talking about. After looking at the pics I think the bumps are worse than I thought they were. :crazy:

Suggestions on what to do/can be done are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
a sure sign of forward shoulders is:
a feeling that there is too much coat at the front of the shoulder near the top of the armhole. this would be where that bone pitches fore ward.
also you may feel pressure [resistance]in that area when reaching fore ward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.