Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have considered custom shoes but after reading some posts on this forum I understand that they can be very expensive as well as potentially error prone.

So I think I will start off with MTM. It will most likely be cheaper than custom and should still be an upgrade from the OTR shoes that I wear now.

I would like to start researching lasts so I can understand what my options are, which ones are highest quality and which ones will fit me best.

So where should I start in researching lasts?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In shoe stores, preferably during trunk shows of your desired MTO maker.
I would like to start learning about different lasts now instead of waiting for the next trunk show.

Are there certain last brands/makers that are used the most among various MTM shoe makers?

For example, I would imagine that Redenbach makes soles that are probably used by a few different MTM shoe makers.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
first of all, Do you want english made shoes or italian made or some other maker? For example, edward Green makes several lasts for there shoes. The 888 is the narrowest. They make an 82 last which is a little wider and a rounder toe box and a 202 which is much more round and wider. if you fit any of these lasts and like the shoes than get a MTO shoe by EG with that last if available. Not all shoes are made in all lasts. Most MTO shoes will cost upwards of $1000-$1500. Vass does make a less expensive shoe of very high quality. Getting it is the tough part. Italian shoes in the $1000 plus range are also harder to find and therefore harder to locate a last.

C&J are a good choice. less money and high quality, find a retailer that has a trunk shoe with C&J and you may find a good selection of lasts to try.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
My point really is that if you find a last that fits comfortably, you may not need MTO. MTO shoes will not be cut to fit your foot. They are still using the same last. MTO is great as far as designing a shoe on a last that fits as long as the maker will make the shoe on the last that fits you best. Bespoke is cut for you and you alone on a last made just for you. You design your own shoe and the style of the shoe last is made for your foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.