Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am pretty disappointed by my two Mr.Ned suits.

On the first, the notches on the lapels were finished incorrectly and so they look wavy.

On the second there are a ton of problems:
1. The sleeves were not attached properly and so they look totally uneven
2. The sleeves were not finished properly and so the thread used to attach the lining comes through and is visible form the outside.
3. The pants came with a small hole in the crotch
4. The lapels were cut wrong and so they don't line up properly with the button (and when pressed to line up properly they force crazy wrinkles into other parts of the suit).

Will not be going back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a suit from both (Martin Greenfield through Brooks Brothers, measured by Mr. Greenfield on one of his store visits). I have an athletic build with a 9-10 inch drop and asked both to make a suit in the British style with a waisted silhouette (perhaps a mistake asking BB to do this).

I prefer the Mr. Ned suit because they did a better job giving the jacket a waisted silhouette and an overall better fit. I'm not sure if this is due to inability on BB/Greenfiled's part (seems unlikely), or adhering more closely to BB's sack suit traditions, or what. However, I went into BB to meet with Mr. Greenfield wearing a BB Southwick custom and explained how I wanted the next one to be different. Perhaps if I had ordered directly from Mr. Greenfield, I would have gotten a silhouette closer to what I was after.

Both suits have minor faults. The Mr. Ned suit is a bit lopsided in that the collar pulls away from my neck on one side. However, in fairness, I haven't given Mr. Ned a chance to try to fix this. With the BB/Greenfield suit, I had a button fall off and threads pulling out of seams (again, I'm not sure if this is down Greenfield or BB and their tailor's finishing). Mr. Ned involves more fittings included a basted fitting, whereas the BB/Greenfield does not. The suit showed up at BB in a box ready for finishing.

The Greenfield suit was considerably more expensive than the Mr. Ned – about double. I wear and enjoy both, but if I were choosing between Mr. Ned and Greenfield through BB, I would take Mr. Ned for both value and fit reasons. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post pics, sorry.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
FWIW theres a fellow on SF that had a Greenfield made directly at the factory. The suit looks absolutely beautiful in the photos he posted; a modern take on a classic American suit which I happen to like. It had good shape with a fair amount of waist, side vents, trim trousers, etc. but was not overly slim or tight. Really fantastic fit and he mentioned that since it was made-up at the factory he got two fittings.

I have been dreaming of getting a suit directly from Greenfield ever since. Apparently they told him that Bloomberg recently got suits there - I think Bloomberg always looks better than most politicians and this proves that even though he has unlimited resources you don't necessarily have to...

·
Registered
953 Posts
My experience with Mr. Ned has been entirely positive. I have had four suits made there so far, and will be back for more. When something hasn't sat just right, I've gone back and Vahram was more than willing to correct it, though if you go for all the fittings, I think there's less chance of the suit fitting incorrectly than with the typical M2M scenario.

I have not had a Martin Greenfield suit made for me so far, but I can tell you that having spend many times more for a Des Merrion bespoke suit, that Mr. Ned is a damn good value for the money, and that even much more money does not guaranty a perfect fit (especially the first time through).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.