Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I've recently discovered this forum, and this is my first post. Due to graduation, etc, I've started building up a "formal wardrobe", and I would appreciate any and all advice from the members of this forum.

I wonder if you would have opinions on the following two questions:

1) I live in Europe at the moment, but in the near future I will be moving to live in the US. Do you think it would make sense to hold off the more expensive purhases (suits, shoes) until I am in the US? Is the price level there cheaper? Are European goods in the US much more expensive than they are in Europe?

For the sake of comparison, some European "brand name" suits such as Boss or Armani cost about 700-1000 euros here, and Bruno Magli Oxford shoes are approximately 350+ euros. Does this sound cheaper or more expensive than in the US? (bearing in mind that the current USD-EUR exhange rate is about 0.82, i.e. 1 USD = 0.82 EUR)

I am looking to acquire conservative, quality products, but not quite top of the line. Bespoke is helplessly out of my price range. As I am really just starting to build up the wardrobe, I have to make some fairly substantial initial investments. Thus it would be very useful to know about the general price level in the US vs. Europe.

2) Following from the previous question, I've noticed that many American men wear very short trousers. If I've understood correctly, a "European length" trouser nearly touches the upper edge of the shoe heel. However, Americans seem to favour significantly shorter trousers. Should I purchase suits in the US, do you think it would be possible to have my trousers made to the European length? Or will they simply throw me out the shop if I dare suggest such a thing?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

---------

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.